Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Advise on break in process

I have a 06 RXP that I hurt a piston on last year and was wondering if anyone has any helpful tips as to what is the best way to break in, as I want to ensure that everything seats well. Thanks for any ones help in this matter.

+1
    Just ride it like ur going to ride it.
    If its only 1 piston replaced the the rest of the motor is already broken in.
    If you rebuilt the entire motor then that a different story..

+1
    Just back the ski into the water and run it while it's still on the trailer to check for leaks etc then if all looks ok unload it ride around slowly to make sure she is def warmed up then ride the he'll out of it and don't. Look back!

+1
    Yeah check for leaks before complete water test.
    Then back on the limiter wot wot.....
    Check compression after it cools down from riding.
    If you did it right with the piston then its going to rip like new..

+1
    Interesting read if you have the time.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

The manual recommends 10 hours:-

"......BREAK-INPERIOD CAUTION:Scrupulously follow the instructions of this section.
    Failure to do so may reduce the engine's life and/or performance. With Sea-Doo watercraft powered by Rotax® engines, a break-inperiod of 10h ours is required before continuous operation at full throttle. To achieve a good break-in, throttle lever should not be depressed more than 3/4, however, brief acceleration and speed variations contribute to a good break-in. CAUTION:Continued wide open throttle runs and prolonged cruising with out speed variations should be avoided, this can cause engine damage during the break-in period...."

+1
    its bettre you ride it in area with no wave on and off the hook will put alot precure on the engine , and ya ride it for 10 hours if you can and betree the rpm not axceed 5000 for the 1st 3 hourse
    change the oil aftre that i use castrol gtx for all my skies

+1
    I forgot to mention when I posted that I changed all 3 pistons they are all brand new and all the valves are brand new. So from the above directions is there anything I will need to do different since the parts I listed are brand new. Also not sure if this is recommended but a friend says that I should start the ski and let it run off the hose til it warms up then let it cool all the way down and repeat the process. Is it bad to have it run with hose running on ski?

Quote Originally Posted by frogurt View Post
    I forgot to mention when I posted that I changed all 3 pistons they are all brand new and all the valves are brand new. So from the above directions is there anything I will need to do different since the parts I listed are brand new. Also not sure if this is recommended but a friend says that I should start the ski and let it run off the hose til it warms up then let it cool all the way down and repeat the process. Is it bad to have it run with hose running on ski?
    I never let any ski on the hose run over 45 seconds or so. Make sure you start the ski, turn on the water, let it flush, turn off the water, rev a few times, stop the ski. If you don't use a hose, don't run it for more than 10-15 seconds.

+1
    WOT.
    seat the rings with bursts of throttle to its max then back off to half then back to wot..
    You don't want to hose run ur ski because its not cooling everything like it does in the open water...
    Ive heard of people burning up there carbon seal on the hose...
    Yeah when the carbon seal goes u have 15 seconds to get to land or ur SUNK!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information