Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Filling up tanks...

So far I've only taken out my machine and only put 5 gallons of fuel in it to play out on the river for a couple hours. So I've been filling up the gas can, adding the oil, sloshing it around and adding it to the tank. No big deal.

This weekend were doing our first lake trip as a family so I have to put 30 gallons in (15 x 2). Is everyone really doing this process 6 times? I can just see myself at the gas station for a half hour filling the tanks.

Quote Originally Posted by xray328 View Post
    So far I've only taken out my machine and only put 5 gallons of fuel in it to play out on the river for a couple hours. So I've been filling up the gas can, adding the oil, sloshing it around and adding it to the tank. No big deal.

This weekend were doing our first lake trip as a family so I have to put 30 gallons in (15 x 2). Is everyone really doing this process 6 times? I can just see myself at the gas station for a half hour filling the tanks.
    It's kind of like gambling when you try to mix fuel and oil in the gas tank. Some people manage to get away with it - other's have lost engines. If you are just adding enough to partially fill the gas tank and then are driving a long way - "chances" are the gas will get mixed well enough. But you are still taking a chance.

I always mix in the gas can then pour into the tank. I have two also and yes it can be a pain.

+1
    I know it is a pain in the butt to pre mix in cans and then dump fuel in the ski but this is the best way to be sure you have your gas/oil mix done correctly! Since the fuel fill hose enters on the side of the pwc tank it is impossible for the fuel from the gas pump to make enough disturbance in the tank to mix the gas/oil good. Tommy Jordan

+1
    I put usally put 10 gallons at the station with sunoco GT 260 (100 oct)...first 5 gallons pumped in, stop put in 16oz of oil then another 5 gallons the another 16 oz...usally drive 10 -15 miles so shes mixing...I find it more of a PITA carrying and possibly spilling those cans around.....after pumping at the station I lift the ski on the trailer up and down.....IF putting into cans premixed was the only way of guaranteeing not running lean on the oil....I'd sell the fucking thing..

Just relax and enjoy the ride. XLT Chad's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by xray328 View Post
    Is everyone really doing this process 6 times? I can just see myself at the gas station for a half hour filling the tanks.
    Thats the #1 reason why I went to a 4 stroke. Trying to get ready for a big camping weekend with the family AND having to screw around with 6 to 8 gas cans was just too much.

+1
    One can's enough of a pain in the ass. The idea of running the credit card, filling the can, adding the oil, mixing it up, and pouring it 6 separate times makes me cringe. But the idea of losing an engine makes me cringe even more. Might be time to buy another gas can and make my wife fill her own at the same time.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdave56 View Post
    I put usally put 10 gallons at the station with sunoco GT 260 (100 oct)...first 5 gallons pumped in, stop put in 16oz of oil then another 5 gallons the another 16 oz...usally drive 10 -15 miles so shes mixing...I find it more of a PITA carrying and possibly spilling those cans around.....after pumping at the station I lift the ski on the trailer up and down.....IF putting into cans premixed was the only way of guaranteeing not running lean on the oil....I'd sell the fucking thing..
    Still considering this though. Only problem is the tongue weights 263 lbs! That's a bitch to lift...

+1
    Just a thought on the GPR (05) gas tank there is a large opening that is blocked off. Why cant you move the fill hole to there and then when you add your oil through the fill cap the flow of gas will collect it in the hose and should get a pretty good mix. I have the same thing going to the lake and trying to fill cans is not going to work. i figure if I only put in 10 gallons and put the oil in first then the fuel going in will mixe it and the bouncing around on the water will do it also.
    Any thoughts guys?

+1
    If you use gas cans, try the VP racing jugs. My brother just bought some, and a 5 gallon can empties in 30 seconds. These new EPA friendly ventless cans SUCK. We have a place on a lake and the marinas charge out the wazoo for gas so we drive into town to get it. That and I don't trust the 93 octane at the one marina that offers it. I can't imagine him selling a lot of it so it probably sits all summer.

The VP jugs aren't cheap, $30 a piece plus the fill nozzle, but worth it. I am going to buy some soon. Just be sure to get red (they offer them in white and blue as well) b/c they are technically illegal to even transport in a vehicle. Which makes no sense, b/c you have to fill them up somewhere!! (they are designated "off road use only") Getting the red decreases your chances of anyone giving you trouble.

As for mixing the oil, I do it in the gas can and make sure I shake it up really good. I figure by time it's being poured into the tank it has to be mixed.

+1
    When I had my premix, never knew I had to mix in a can then add. Just put in the oil then gas. Rode to the ramp and rode. Never had any problems. Guess ignorance was bliss.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information