Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New to the family but put my Ultra 300 LX in the water yesterday, what a ride....

First time posting so a bit of an introduction. I am a native Montanian and an avid outdoorsman. I make my living manufacturing Precision Long Range Rifle systems designed specifically for long range big game hunting. If your not into hunting, I make alot of precision long range target rifles as well. I have always been into high performance in whatever I do. Rifles that reach out 3000 yards, 2004 Duramax built to 650 HP/980 torque and a 2010 Camaro SS supercharged to 700 HP/680 torque.

Well, I have never OWNED a PWC until now. I have rented several on different family trips but decided to bite the bullet and become an owner. I have owned many Kawasaki products such as a couple KLR 650 bikes and a Brute Force 750i 4x4 and have never had any problems with them at all. Decided my next purchases would be a Concours 14 ABS and a Ultra 300LX ski. Talked it over with my better half and she made a good point that the bike would be for me, the ski could be enjoyed by everyone in the family weither riding for the adults or the kids being pulled around on wake boards or inflatables. As usual, she was right.

So a week ago I brought home my Maroon and silver 2011 Ultra 300 LX and yesterday was the first chance I had to get it in the water. Started the adventure using the SLO key just to get used to the ski. I was very happy with the power and comfort of the ski with the SLO performance level. Very solid all around. I had heard alot of talk about the left leaning of these skis so I was very curious to experience it first hand. When I first put the ski in the water, I LITERALLY tried to roll the ski to the left and while it had a slight left lean at idle or very slow speeds, it felt very stable. Later in the 2 hour ride, I the wind came up and I got the ski in a situation where I noticed the lean a bit more. Wind was coming from my left to right and the ski was parallel to the wind. When I would try to make a right hand turn in this situation, twice the I had the sensation that the ski was going to roll over to the left. Was it going to actually roll, most likely not but being a relative noob to this sport, I got that sensation. Simple cure however, a punch on the throttle solved the problem.

To be fair, the swells were large enough that I was getting some water filling up the left side of the foot runners so that exaggerated the problem, then turning right while riding up a swell further exaggerated the problem. Is it a really a problem. I do not think so, I just need to get used to it and realize this will happen in this exact situation. Funny thing, turn the ski the opposite direction and there was none of this so yes there is a left lean on my ski at idle and low speed but now that I know when to expect it I do not think it will be a problem.

At first I thought the problem was getting worse the longer I rode the ski but I believe it was more the wind and swells then anything with the ski. I think this because when I got done with the ride and was preparing to load the ski back on the trailer, I stepped off the left side of the ski and it did not lean excessively in any way with all my weight on the left side. So note to myself, watch when your idling around with a left to right crosswind, other then that, never was even an issue at all.

Anyway, played with the ski for about an hour with the SLO power key and then decided to give the FPO key a try, MY GOD, what a difference. No need to tell you guys anything, you already know what I just learned but this ski flat out pulls. It pulls hard and fast up to plane and then it REALLY gets after it!!!

Have to say I was a bit worried about the left leaning thing but after a 2 hour ride, I am VERY happy with my decision to get the Ultra 300 LX. I suspect that feeling will stick with me for a long time. My 2004 Duramax launches extremely hard when in 4 wheel drive when doing 1/4 mile launches. Anything in the dash slots will hit you in the chest when you launch in my truck. That said, this ski launches easily twice as hard as my truck.

As far as my camaro, I know it would stomp the ski in a 1/4 mile run. Probably would still beat it in the 1/8 mile but it would likely be very close at the line. Over a 100 yard sprint, this ski would SMOKE my truck or camaro!!! Pretty sure it would beat both in 0-60 mph times as well.

Just wanted to drop a line, introduce myself to the group and express my impressions of the Ultra 300 LX so far, very impressed!!!

+1
    First of all welcome to the forum ,with that said congrats on your ski and glad to see you are a happy owner just like many of us!

+1
    Welcome to Greenhulk and welcome to the family of Kawasaki owners. We look forward to making the most of this forum with you in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiftydriver View Post
    Over a 100 yard sprint, this ski would SMOKE my truck or camaro!!! Pretty sure it would beat both in 0-60 mph times as well.
    I agree with your assessment. The acceleration of the ski is insanely amazing.

Banned User
    +1
    You made two good choices a 300x and a duramax. I know a thing or two about duramaxes welcome and enjoy the ski.

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk!

What do you offer in the way of custom Rifle builds? I am looking to get the bolt on my Model 70 (FN PBR) fluted and have an oversized knob put on. Is this something you do?

Quote Originally Posted by FIRE0021 View Post
    You made two good choices a 300x and a duramax. I know a thing or two about duramaxes welcome and enjoy the ski.
    Me too! lol Just bought a new 2011 300x last night. Its my first ski any suggestions?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1337284346590.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	271835Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1337284371317.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	136.3 KB 
ID:	271836

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by zeke38 View Post
    Me too! lol Just bought a new 2011 300x last night. Its my first ski any suggestions?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1337284346590.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	271835Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1337284371317.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	136.3 KB 
ID:	271836
    Congrats and welcome. Follow the owner's manual and enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by CougarKiller View Post
    Welcome to the Hulk!

What do you offer in the way of custom Rifle builds? I am looking to get the bolt on my Model 70 (FN PBR) fluted and have an oversized knob put on. Is this something you do?
    Not sure whats allowed here so just to not ruffle any features being a noob, you can go to www.apsrifles.com and check out what I offer.

Thanks for the welcome guys. I have been reading as much as I can here about the 300 LX to see what is real or fad as far as maintanence and such and aftermarket parts. I am just a recreational rider, no racing for me but I do like performance but reliability is paramont as well. I am sure I will be picking your brains from time to time with questions. For now, just need to put some more time in the saddle and learn how to ride the lightening!!! LOL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information