Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Think I got a deal... new MSX 150 owner

Hi Gang,
    Think I just scored a sweet deal!

I just bought a 2004 Polaris MSX 150 from a local dealership for $1000 (plus tax and title transfer).

They took it in on trade for a new Yamaha ski from the frustrated original owner. The story is the MSX was overheating and the owner was fed up with it. He had had it in the shop all last year at another local dealership that couldn't fix it or figure out what was the cause, so he brought it to this dealership for a trade in on a new one.

I talked with the guys at this dealership and they told me they spent over 50 hours this past winter trying to fix it. They pulled the engine and found the water pump gear all stripped out so they replaced that and put it all back together. Now it starts up and revs fine (I'm sure they've only tried on the trailer) but they said it's idling high now and they are not putting anymore time into it. They threw it on CL for $1k with a description that says "we don't know what's wrong with it... 'as-is'... come and get it". I jumped!

Other than needing a new seat cover... the ski is very clean with obviously low hours. The engine compartment is so clean I could eat out of it. I'm so used to seeing a pretty messy engine area because all the skis I've bought up to this point have been basket cases with blown engines.

That's all I know. I'm picking it up (bringing my own trailer) this afternoon. So excited, I wanted to share!

I've learned so much about the blue Fuji engines and my older '94 SLT 750 and '96 SL 780... time to dig into the forums and learn all I can about this new Weber turbo beast.

Cheers!

Attachment 271837

+1
    I've read in other threads that a few folks can run the HIN and see what's in the system for the ski.

If so that would be good to know.

HIN PLE37525F404

Thanks!

**edited to correct HIN

+1
    I've heard parts for Polaris skis are hard to find.
    Hope all works out for u.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by wotxxxsd View Post
    I've heard parts for Polaris skis are hard to find.
    Hope all works out for u.
    Plenty of parts for the weber motor side of things, these are still being manufactured.
    MSX110/150 parts littered all over Ebay as well

Banned User
    +1
    There are tons of MSX parts out there. Seems like everyone parts them out when they break rather than fix them. I would love to ride an MSX 150 sometime.

I hope this works out for you, I feel like I've had a bad experience with one myself just from all the time i've spent looking at people bit#@ about them.

Banned User
    +1
    The biggest issue with the Weber motors is that they are so freakin expensive to repair. I think a short block is over 5000 bucks!!!!!

+1
    All true.

When I picked up my ski yesterday afternoon, I talked some more with one of the dealership's service/sales guy. He was a nice guy... told me all about the work he'd done on this ski and the time they'd put into it. I got the feeling he either was jealous of the deal I got (being he worked there, I'm sure he could have gotten an even better one)... or that he was feeling pity on me... figuring I didn't have too great a chance of getting this ski "fixed" if he and a dealership couldn't. More likely the latter... haha.

He was the guy who posted it on CL where I found it... and he showed me on his iphone 8 other emails of interest in the ski with a few saying "I'll take it", one offering above asking price, and another offering double asking price. He said you're lucky we're honest folks here (the dealership)... and they were... and I was impressed with them for that.

So... this whole effort to fix this ski could be just a huge learning experience riddled with frustration and disappointment. But I don't think I'll loose too much $$ on it knowing I could easily sell it for what I paid or part it out. But with you guy's help and the knowledge bank here... I'm hoping we can beat the odds.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    The biggest issue with the Weber motors is that they are so freakin expensive to repair. I think a short block is over 5000 bucks!!!!!
    I would drop a 4tec in one for that kind of money.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information