Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Anyone use Torco Octane Accelerator in their Ultra 300's

I have used Torco products ALOT in my high performance, supercharged 2010 camaro. These products are great for raising octane levels consistantly and much safer then running a water/meth or Alky injection system where you always run some risk of those systems failing. Anyway, I run a quart of Torco Octane accelerator in each tank full of 91 octane pump gas which brings the octane level up to around 97 and I gain a solid 55-60 RWHP.

The main benefit however is being able to run higher boost and much less risk of detonation with the supercharger set up.

I have read that detonation can be a problem with the supercharged marine engines as well but have not seen any reference to running anything other then pump gas in them. I am new here so this may have been done, hell probably being done. Just wondering what the thoughts are on using Torco in the Kawasaki Ultra 300's, good idea to protect against detonation and offering a bit more HP or bad idea. Maybe these engines are not designed to handle fuel additives.

Opinions please.

Thanks.

My opinion is that octane boosters are a sales gimmick and a total scam and bad for engines. But if I was in a pinch and had no choice Torco would be the one to use no doubt. ideally you should just use 91 or 93 from a reputable station and call it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiftydriver View Post
    ...These products are great for raising octane levels consistantly and much safer then running a water/meth or Alky injection system where you always run some risk of those systems failing. Anyway, I run a quart of Torco Octane accelerator in each tank full of 91 octane pump gas which brings the octane level up to around 97...

Thanks.
    I hate to say this but I also think the octane boost industry uses false and deceptive advertising to dupe the consumer. No way Torco boosts 91 to 97. Read the label very carefully. They use fantasy scale of tenths of points. So, adding quart of boost to 91 maybe makes 91.4. Its not just Torco (which is supposed to be one of the best). They all do it. How they get away with it I dont know. Race gas is different matter as is xylene, toluol etc. Those things will boost octane by full points but have own risks and problems.

I would agree with you in general. Most octane boost products are a waste of money but Torco has proven itself time and again on high performance automotive engines. Not in opinion but on actual dyno proven results. Its consistant, stable and proven. But I would fully agree, most octane boost products are a waste of time.

I run 91 octane right now in my ski and seems to be working fine. Dont get me wrong, if I do not have to put an extra $20 in each tank I would prefer not to!!! LOL

Again, I am a rec. rider but any added protection for a high performance engine is a good idea in my opinion but if 91 octane is sufficent then no worries.

Banned User
    +1
    I would agree with you in general. Most octane boost products are a waste of money but Torco has proven itself time and again on high performance automotive engines. Not in opinion but on actual dyno proven results. Its consistant, stable and proven. But I would fully agree, most octane boost products are a waste of time.

I run 91 octane right now in my ski and seems to be working fine. Dont get me wrong, if I do not have to put an extra $20 in each tank I would prefer not to!!! LOL

Again, I am a rec. rider but any added protection for a high performance engine is a good idea in my opinion but if 91 octane is sufficent then no worries.
    Just run the 91 that's what it's tuned for. Octane boosters have other long term affects as well. You will be just fine with the 91

Quote Originally Posted by FIRE0021 View Post
    Just run the 91 that's what it's tuned for. Octane boosters have other long term affects as well. You will be just fine with the 91

10-4,

Thanks guys.

I have used Torco products ALOT in my high performance, supercharged 2010 camaro. These products are great for raising octane levels consistantly and much safer then running a water/meth or Alky injection system where you always run some risk of those systems failing. Anyway, I run a quart of Torco Octane accelerator in each tank full of 91 octane pump gas which brings the octane level up to around 97 and I gain a solid 55-60 RWHP.

The main benefit however is being able to run higher boost and much less risk of detonation with the supercharger set up.

I have read that detonation can be a problem with the supercharged marine engines as well but have not seen any reference to running anything other then pump gas in them. I am new here so this may have been done, hell probably being done. Just wondering what the thoughts are on using Torco in the Kawasaki Ultra 300's, good idea to protect against detonation and offering a bit more HP or bad idea. Maybe these engines are not designed to handle fuel additives.

Opinions please.

Thanks.
    Did you just say that you raised your octane level to 97 and gained 55-60 rwhp? Maybe if you added boost to go with it... lol

Quote Originally Posted by Shan View Post
    Did you just say that you raised your octane level to 97 and gained 55-60 rwhp? Maybe if you added boost to go with it... lol
    On the supercharged 6.2 L in the 2010 camaro, you will gain around 10 RWHP for every increased point in octane from 91 up to around 100. This has been proven on the dyno many times. Now it may vary a bit but on average you will gain 10 HP on these engines when your running 9 to 9.5 lbs of boost on the LS 376 CI engines. I have a 91 octane tune and the car gets right around 505 RWHP with that tune and 91 octane pump gas. With my high performance +93 octane custom tune running the same boost but with 96-97 octane fuel with the torco, I get 560 RWHP on average. Now with the higher octane you can change some things in the tune to make more power but simply put, without the torco and higher octane, it would not be safe otherwise.

I just wanted to see if things were similiar in these engines as well. Sounds like its not needed or wanted in some cases.

Banned User
    +1
    I gotta disagree it's the added timing You can run with more octane giving you the power, sure you can't add the timing w/o the fuel but if you strictly pour in 93+ octane you will not add HP without the timing end of story

Quote Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
    I gotta disagree it's the added timing You can run with more octane giving you the power, sure you can't add the timing w/o the fuel but if you strictly pour in 93+ octane you will not add HP without the timing end of story
    Agreed but you can not do one without the other. You can add timing to get more power but without the higher octane you get detonation and other problems that will destroy your engine. You can add the higher octane fuel and get some smaller gains but without the custom tune to take advantge of the higher octane fuel, you will not get the larger performance gains.

Again, I agree with your comments but without one, the other is not safe, with both you get alot more power so the point is moot. Without the higher octane fuel, I can not get the increased performance SAFELY and RELIABLY. With the Torco, I can. The Torco is a critical aspect of getting the proper octane level to allow the performance increase.

My question about the 300LX was not really based on performance increases, it was more focused toward the FACT that higher octane fuel offers more margin of safety on a F/I engine application. When your running high boost, the higher the octane, the safer you are. I was just checking to make sure that 91 octane was plenty to offer safe, reliable and long engine life. That is all. Not really wondering or looking for a performance increase, just if it added any safety or reliability to the long term life of the engine, that is all.

My reference to performance increases was simply do to the questioning of the worthyness of the Torco product compared to other octane boost products.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information