Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Self Confessed Day Dreamer toomanytoys's Avatar
    +1

Exclamation Aftermarket Sponsons for 300x

Well, I had a slight disaster today and something others should be very wary of if/when replacing your sponsons on a 300X.

Changing Sponsons is easy. 10 minute job right... well not anymore.

I put the Allen key socket on the first bolt. It was VERY tight. I figured it just had to break the loctite. It started to undo but was tight. Then crack, it snapped of. sh!t. Well now I have to take the others out so I can fix this.

The second one was tight but it come out. There was a lot of orange coloured loctite stuff on it (quite a bit actually).

The third one was tight also. This time it jammed and spun and stripped the internal brass fitting damaging the keyway within the hull.

The forth, again, was tight but come out.

So now I'm left with a busted brass fitting and a stainless steel bolt stuck in another fitting.

I took to ski to my mates workshop after trying a few different ways to remove the stainless bolt (heat etc). It was time for some major surgery to fix this mess.

We had to re-tap and clean the broken brass fitting. A hour later that disaster was fixed.

An hour later we had drilled the snapped off bolt out of the first fitting. We had no choice but to tap this fitting also (a major pain).

Just so everyone knows, the bolts had zero corrosion and WD was applied (as best that could be done to sealed bolts). They are just very tight loctited in.

So, for the moment, the original sponson is going back on. I really need some tips for removing the other side without this happening again.

Cheers, Mal.

+1
    its red loctite mal, and yes very scarey to remove, try rocking them back and fourth by loosening then tightening this creates heat and they will slowly release dont force them take your time, replace with blue loctite

What was wrong with the original sponsons or what don't you like about?

Banned User
    +1
    Mine where tight but all came out no problem. But I was very careful when I took them out there was a shit load of lock tite on them.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by meangreenman View Post
    What was wrong with the original sponsons or what don't you like about?
    I'm coming from an STX-R with beach house sponsons. It turns hard. The 300X on the other hand tends to turn on the nose. I'd like a little more grab in the rear. That's what I'm hoping to get from the the ones I'm trying anyway.

Cheers, Mal.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by toomanytoys View Post
    I'm coming from an STX-R with beach house sponsons. It turns hard. The 300X on the other hand tends to turn on the nose. I'd like a little more grab in the rear. That's what I'm hoping to get from the the ones I'm trying anyway.

Cheers, Mal.
    What kind u testing out Mal ?

+1
    WORX sponsons. I don't think they've been formally released yet. Quality wise they look and feel good. They have plenty of adjustment on them so I should be able to find some good settings once I get them on the ski.

+1
    I've ran tbm and farthing. Both worked very well.

If the worx ones have plastic paddles, piss em off and make alloy ones out of 6mm plate. I've found that the plastic ones flex and loosen the screws. We were re-tightening them between motos to be safe. Thats with blue loctite.

That red stuff on the bolts isn't loctite.

Its way scarier.

+1
    I agree. The worx design is great. I have a buddy who took their poly blade, traced it over alloy and cut those, finished them and they work awesome.

I have the Farthing sponsons and the adjustability is great. I love them.

Quote Originally Posted by eel View Post
    I've ran tbm and farthing. Both worked very well.

If the worx ones have plastic paddles, piss em off and make alloy ones out of 6mm plate. I've found that the plastic ones flex and loosen the screws. We were re-tightening them between motos to be safe. Thats with blue loctite.

That red stuff on the bolts isn't loctite.

Its way scarier.

+1
    I decided to try my luck and take the other side off.

Taking the front bolt out was pretty easy. Then the 2nd, then the 3rd. I was surprised how easy they come out. Taking a closer look at the bolts they only had a single thread of the orange loctite stuff on them. They were still tight all the way but nothing like the other side.

Now the 4th (rear) one. This one was tight, very tight, just like the other side. I spent a bit of time working it back and forth and turning slowly. I thought it was going to break any second and my knuckles were going to punch the trailer! Thankfully I got it out.

Success, the port side sponson come off without too much drama.

I think what's happened is; the guy from the factory putting the orange stuff on the starboard side is the same guy you see that pours tomato sauce over everything on his dinner plate. The guy on the port side was going well until his buddy sees how frugal he was and before the last bolt goes in he says "nar man, coat that thing, give it to me, I'll show you how".

Those guys are reading this forum arguing about the amount of orange goo to put on now. haha

I'll get these Worx sponsons on during the week and let you all know.

Mal.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information