Dodged a HUGE bullet...now need some help

Well i dodged a huge bullet. My XLT was running weird. #1 carb was running lean. In the process of pulling the carbs and look what I find below. Somewhere between the marina and my house the oil line on the #3 carb pushed off. Can sitting out in the sun cause enough tank pressure to push a line off? Thats a decent amount of oil that has been pushed through and there was none in there when we left the dock. Now to the dumb question. What bolts to I take off to get the carbs off? I've loosened the 2 bolts per carb. There are 4 bolts with black caps on there. They look like allen head or star key cap screws and I couldnt get them to budge. Afraid of stripping them. Any advice would be appreciated.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-05-17_18-57-58_777.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	271875Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-05-17_18-58-05_382.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	271876

+1
    Those 4 bolts are 5mm allen head. Be sure you get the allen in all the way, with the plastic cap its easy not to seat them all the way. There are also 2 10mm head hex bolts for each carb, one on top, one on bottom. The air cleaner has to come off to access everything. It has 6 10mm bolts holding it on, mounted thru a screen mesh on the inside of the air cleaner.
    Why are you taking carbs off? The oil line is attached generally after the carbs are mounted.

I'm rebuilding them because the number one plug was white and the whole ski was down on power. I already checked the compression on the cylinders and they are all right around 100psi so nothing internal has gone wrong. I'm thinking the fuel filter in the carb is plugged. I have everything stripped off(airbox, delivery line and return line, etc) Just having a hell of a time with those allen bolts. I'm going to buy some t-handle allens to give me a better grip.

+1
    I bought some Craftsman 3/8 drive allen metric sockets. They are a socket with an allen coming out the end. That way you can put a ratchet on them, plus you can torque them when you put them back.

Which way to the check valves go in on the carb? I thought i had read somewhere the side with the ink faces up?

Welp all done...i hope. getting those check valves in was a real b!tch. The filters had some weird crap in them that dried and turned to powder when it hit the air. Also had some decent amount of corrosion inside the carbs. Looks like lime build up. But they are finished. If this doesnt work in just gonna bite the bullet and build up the engine with new reeds, f/a's, etc.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mail.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	77.7 KB 
ID:	271967

+1
    Why don't you just premix your fuel?
    The lines are known to POP off and if that oil pump decides to take a crap then your out a motor.
    I bought a 04 xlt that had a pump take a dump and waisted the motor.
    Just a thought..

im thinking about it. I need the ski running for memorial day weekend and i wont have time to get the blockoff plates here.

Don't need a block off plate. Just disconnect the oil pump pull cable and run the premix.

I'll second going premix.. just had a xlt1200 motor seize because of an oil pump failure

Thread Information