+1

98 Challenger- Project Boat??

Im thinking about picking up a project boat and found a 98 challenger, twin 110hp engine for sale pretty cheap. HE says it runs but one wont idle right and the other cuts off at high speed- both start though. Both have pretty even 145-150 compression. I plan to go look this weekend- im thinking carbs are clogged and fuel/lines/and filters need to be changed out. Any thoughts of what else it could be?

Quote Originally Posted by Pwgsx View Post
    Im thinking about picking up a project boat and found a 98 challenger, twin 110hp engine for sale pretty cheap. HE says it runs but one wont idle right and the other cuts off at high speed- both start though. Both have pretty even 145-150 compression. I plan to go look this weekend- im thinking carbs are clogged and fuel/lines/and filters need to be changed out. Any thoughts of what else it could be?
    can it be water tested to feel for yourself, and check for water leaks? your on track with the carbs, but it still could be a rats nest. even tho he claims good compression, look down into the cylinders. bc ya just don`t know if it ran like crap until it couldn`t run anymore, or is it shitted up bc it sat...

Hope you can get this cheap, bc you`ll need the $$$ for the parts! completely check out the driveline while your looking over the boat.

any ??? shoot me a PM...

BTW what color, Green or Burgundy?

Good Luck!

+1
    The old SeaDoos used a really crummy grey fuel line, it would deteriorate from the inside and clog up the internal filters in the carbs. Everytime someone sends me carbs to rebuild from these, they are plugged. Fisrt thing I tell them to do is replace the fuel lines. its much cheaper then coming back to me for repairs.

Quote Originally Posted by OsideBill View Post
    The old SeaDoos used a really crummy grey fuel line, it would deteriorate from the inside and clog up the internal filters in the carbs. Everytime someone sends me carbs to rebuild from these, they are plugged. Fisrt thing I tell them to do is replace the fuel lines. its much cheaper then coming back to me for repairs.
    How ya feeling Bill! how`s the new hardware?

I have to go thru all that on ours as well. just waiting on kits/parts...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    How ya feeling Bill! how`s the new hardware?

I have to go thru all that on ours as well. just waiting on kits/parts...
    Andy I will send you a PM don't want to trash the guys thread.

+1
    ITs the green boat, not a big fan but he called me back and said he was busy the day I was going to take a look. Now he seems he does not want to return my calls. Dont know if he sold it or he is just busy. I will keep you posted but thanks for the info, ill look over those things for sure on this boat or the next I find.

What should I be looking for on the driveline? Same stuff as the pwc's? If so I have owned many so I know what to look for there. And the grey tempo fuel lines are another big issue for sure.

ITs the green boat, not a big fan but he called me back and said he was busy the day I was going to take a look. Now he seems he does not want to return my calls. Dont know if he sold it or he is just busy. I will keep you posted but thanks for the info, ill look over those things for sure on this boat or the next I find.

What should I be looking for on the driveline? Same stuff as the pwc's? If so I have owned many so I know what to look for there. And the grey tempo fuel lines are another big issue for sure.
    yup, you got it covered! same crap driveline as the ski`s... and the nifty grey fuel line as well
    I`m going thru all this right now...

Thread Information