Is blow-by common/acceptable after a rebuild during break-in?

2005 RXT.

Finished a rebuild (New XCharger, hone, new rings, bearings, lapped valves, etc..) about a month ago. Previous owner had a failed S/C. After a few set backs, I finally was able to get the beast on the water this week. I have put on about 2.7 hours so far in 2 different outtings. I think I am consuming some oil, but not burning it. No Blue smoke, plugs are very clean and have 140lbs compression on all 3 cyls (my gauge always seams to read light). As for oil level, I have been targeting about 1/3 of the way between the bends. I have added about 3/4 quarts of oil in the last 2 rides, but I am not sure I had quite enough to begin with. The next ride, I hope to have a better handle on consumption. I am going to warm it up in the water and check it in the water and then check it in the water after I ride for about an hour or so.

I am not running a catch can. I had some oil stuff in the hose leading to the intake hose and also a small amount in the hose between the s/c and manifold. The TOPS valves sounds and feels like it is opening and closing with the DESS key.

So is this typical at break-in and if not, what next?

Thanks,
    Greg

Why do you think you have blow-by? It is always tough to get the oil level consistent on a new build. (especially since the 2005 manual gives the wrong capacity!)

With 140 PSI you should be OK. BTW, what grit hone did you use? Typical automotive glaze hones (220-240 grit) are too rough for these moly-filled rings, they will be destroyed in a few minutes. The optimum grit is 400.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Dood View Post
    Why do you think you have blow-by? It is always tough to get the oil level consistent on a new build. (especially since the 2005 manual gives the wrong capacity!)

With 140 PSI you should be OK. BTW, what grit hone did you use? Typical automotive glaze hones (220-240 grit) are too rough for these moly-filled rings, they will be destroyed in a few minutes. The optimum grit is 400.
    Mostly because the oil level is so inconsistent and was down after I rode it. There is no oil in the hull and it does not appear to be burning oil, which leaves blow-by IF I am really losing oil. However, I was hoping it was just an inconsistent thing. I guess, I will know after this next ride, becauseup to this point, I have put in right about the 4.8qts that these engines are supposed to hold (2005 manual is WAY off - they did the english/metric conversion in reverse.)

Original hone was 240, but I found out that was too rough, so I had them redo it and I think it was 320 - I have been thinking this may take a little longer to break in?

+1
    How much oil did you put in on startup? You should always put 4 qts in with filter on a fresh rebuild!!!

+1
    did you inspect the oil pumps when you had it apart?

Thread Information