Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Puts motor oil on his pancakes Hockeydude's Avatar

replacing '03 pump housing.. additional parts needed?

I'm going to replace my plastic pump housing on my '03 GTX SC with an aluminum one (part # 267000417) which I've found by itself new for under $200. Are there any other parts I should or must replace with it? Seals, bearings etc? The ski has 52 hours on it, unmodified, and is a family ski used for mid-speed rides with young kids, pulling tubers etc... So its never been abused and is in damn near mint condition. I just don't want to replace an expensive bearing if it doesn't need it and vice-versa. Thanks guys!

You should just need the 185 wear ring and impeller.

+1
    dose the new pump have the bearing installed? Prop? might need prop tools.

Puts motor oil on his pancakes Hockeydude's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hotbird View Post
    dose the new pump have the bearing installed? Prop? might need prop tools.
    Nope, just the housing. Everything swaps over from what I've read. I'm just wondering if I will need new seals once they are removed or anything. Prop tool would be handy and will be ordered. Anything else?

+1
    Replace everything and be done with it for 100 hours. Reuse the prop and wear ring if in good condition.

+1
    i am not sure if the guts from the pump will swap over, i never heard of anyone doing that. you can buy a fully aseembled used pump from an 04+ rxp rxt and not have to worry about swapping over parts. should be 350 or less. by the time you buy the naked housing, possibly a pump rebuild kit and get it all assembled (you need a press) its easier to just buy one assembled, used. plus i dont think some of the parts will come out of the old pump and be reusable, seals bearings ??? you at least have to get new seals. its not worth the risk to put used parts into the new pump. and thats if they fit, which i am not aware that they do... i did this swap on my ski, researched the same ideas you have, went with the used pump form a 05 rxp, was easy and perfect retrofit. stuck my 03 wear ring and 03 impeller into the 05 housing(fully assembled) and was good to go.

+1
    need a prop tool , and a 12 mm allen wrench for the other end, someone please confirm the 12 mm its been a few years for me.
    smaller more common allen wrench for the pump cone.
    a vice makes life easier to remove and install the impeller.
    freshen up the pump grease, or if new assembly pack the bearings prior to install.
    you will need a shop press if you are assembling the pump internals.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by lextoy View Post
    need a prop tool , and a 12 mm allen wrench for the other end, someone please confirm the 12 mm its been a few years for me.
    smaller more common allen wrench for the pump cone.
    a vice makes life easier to remove and install the impeller.
    freshen up the pump grease, or if new assembly pack the bearings prior to install.
    you will need a shop press if you are assembling the pump internals.
    12mm yes

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    uhhh..changing to the new pump requires a new tail cone..if I am not mistaken you also need a new impeller shaft..best to check with one of the fellows over at riva..the really helped me out when I had to replace an older pump housing with a brand new one. There is some kind of bulletin about it listing all the parts needed for the update..but I was shot out of bed way too early this morning and caffeine saturation has not been reached yet.

+1
    I just installed an 04 RXP pump onto an 03 GTX 185 and used the black 03 185 tail cone. Anybody know for sure if the tail cones are interchangable? It seemed to fit nice and snug, but anybody know for sure???

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information