Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2002 Virage I - All RPM Little Go

OK so I just got my 2002 virago I out for the first time this year and had a problem you can hopefully help with. I ran it for about 5-10 minutes and it was running OK for the first time of the year. Missing a bit but I attributed that to old gas and old spark plugs. Then my RPM's shot up and I had no forward momentum. I could go slow and move along slowly but as soon as I gave it more gas the RPM's would climb but the Ski would not move any faster. I did not hear any loud noises as if anything broke and I didn't have any engine lights or anything on the dash. Almost like it was in Neutral. Any suggestions?

Check the intake grate, see if you have something plugging it up. Then start checking the drive shaft to impeller and the impeller to shaft splines. If the engine is running and reving, then you should be moving.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Once you have confirmed the jet pump intake is clear of weeds look at the mechanical stuff.

As suggested, start with the drive shaft and engine coupler splines. Also look closely at the bonded rubber coupler on the engine output shaft. If it is slipping you will not have much thrust.

Last item is the impeller internal splines. All splines must be in good condition, not rounded over or worn down.

More info on all these via my signature links.

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1
    or a piece of debri has impaled itself on the impellar blades,has happened to me a couple of times.this one time at band camp...i mean in austin,the wifes ski did the same thing and when i looked a rubber spatula head was jammed onto the impellar,ski would only idle along.

Well all I found the problem. I pulled the Impeller and driveshaft and there was a hunk of plastic wedged between the impeller and housing. I removed the plastic and put everything back together. It ran fine for about 20 minutes and it happened again. So again i pulled it all apart and now a hunk of wood was wedged in there. Removed the wood and put it all back together. Ran it for a bit and damn it happened again. I have not pulled it apart yet to see what's in there this time but I think there may more to my issue. I am wondering if the gap between my impeller and the housing is to big and it's letting stuff get in there. This has never happened to this ski before this incident so I am thinking I need to replace the impeller or housing or both. Suggestions?

I am having a hell of a time finding a wear ring and impeller for my machine. It's a 2002 Virage I. Any suggestions on where to purchase those items?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Have you checked the actual Impeller blade to wear ring clearance?

Impellers can be refurbished. See my signature links for more info.

The extension ring (wear ring) is interchangeable with all other Polaris jet pump extension rings, both aluminum and stainless steel versions. You do not need one from a Virage specifically.

Is there a proper intake grate in place for the jet pump?

Are you riding in water that has a lot of debris?

K447, Thanks for the post. I checked my Impeller/Wear Ring Clearance and it appears to be in spec. I am reading .010 consistently on all three blades. I do have the proper intake grate installed. I was riding in water the had quite a bit of debris, but to get debris between the impeller and wear ring 3 times within about 30 minutes of riding seems a bit excessive. Or maybe I just had bad luck. Is there anything else you can think of that would cause that? Thanks Again.

+1
    I'd find a different place to ride if there is that much crap in the water.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by wotxxxsd View Post
    I'd find a different place to ride if there is that much crap in the water.

Agreed

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information