Unhappy Need Help Please - 2009 Kawasaki Ultra 260x - Seized Supercharger

This is my first post and I would really appreciate some help. I saved up and bought my first PWC a month ago: A 2009 Kawasaki Ultra 260x with only 21 hours on it. It's two years old. The first two weekends it rode great (stock) but today the supercharger seized up (or at least the pulley is bent and belt ripped to schreds). I thought it was just the belt, but took off the guard and can see the pulley wheel bent up.

I'm willing to try to be a mechanic as I can't afford to have the dealer put in a new supercharger. There's no warranty. I'm hoping I can do this myself. The dealer says just the belt is an 8 hour job, but I saw shortcuts on this forum that say it's only about an hour or so if you just slide the motor forward. I know this probably won't help my SC problem.

Here's my questions:

1. Should I get a racing pulley? I'm not going to race competition, but does it make it cooler? It looks like the same price as the factory pulley (at least for a Rogue) - should I replace both pullies or just the SC one?
    2. Is there anywhere online to get detailed instructions on how to pull out the SC so I can see what parts it needs?
    3. This is a very sad day for me as I was having so much fun on this thing.
    4. I read that I should fog the SC after every use - I'll see if I can find pictures on how to do that, but I need to get this up and running first. Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions. I'm really heartbroken as I couldn't afford a new 2012 300x but I wish I could.

MountainMan

Banned User
    +1
    Here is a brief how to along with what waz posted above u should be good

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show....php?p=1881231

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by sirbreaksalot View Post
    his is a 260 tk

but still all the same except for the tensioner basicaly

Waz
    Yea ment to say the tensioner would be different. The basics are there

Thanks for all the info guys. I'm not going to be able to tear into this until Tuesday or Wednesday. I'll check to see if I can spin the supercharger by hand. The pulley is definately bent and I'm not sure if I should try to hammer it straight or just replace it. I could post some pictures. Here's another question: Using the belt changing instructions, will I have room to remove the supercharger and pulley?

Also, there's schreded little rubber pieces all over the place - any suggestions for cleaning the inside of the engine compartment?

Thanks again!

+1
    yes you will have room, the new s/c comes with a new pulley assembly, clean the hull out with degreaser and a pressure washer.

Question 2009 Kawasaki Ultra 260x Broken Pulley

Quote Originally Posted by nicjak View Post
    yes you will have room, the new s/c comes with a new pulley assembly, clean the hull out with degreaser and a pressure washer.
    Thank you all for your help. I finally got the pulley apart. The supercharger seems fine and spins freely. The pulley was cracked and bent (not just the pulley, but the pulley nose as well). I ordered the parts I needed. I have a late model 2009 so the parts are actually the same as the 2010 Ultra 260x.

I should be able to get it all back together this week. Can anyone tell me why this would happen? Maybe the bearings siezed up? Is there anything I can do to prevent this kind of thing happening in the future?

Thanks in advance !

+1
    im guessing someone broke the snout trying to repair or replace the pulley.

Quote Originally Posted by MountainMan View Post
    The pulley was cracked and bent (not just the pulley, but the pulley nose as well).
    Can you post some pics?
    I don't remember seeing a cracked pulley on 250/260.
    Also, your post title is quite misleading as you found out.

Thread Information