Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

FX SHO bilge pump not working and main fuse blows sometimes

I have had my main fuse blow twice now after about an hour of running around, it blows when im slowly cruising?? ive also noticed my bilge pump is not working when i hit the starter button(not actually start the ski) it used to work fine, anyone know where to start looking? ive checked for ower at the connector up the harness a bit but no power there either.

Cheers, rob

+1
    Will you have wire short at the bilge or the wheel of it get stuck , take is out and insure that the conection in order and the wheel can move using small scorw , you should here a sound after turn off the jet and should stay for 3-5 sec.

+1
    I would disconnect the bilge pump altogether and see if because of a short and causing your fuse to blow. If the fuse still goes then you have a bigger problem. Run your hand on the wire of the bilge pump toward the front through the white wall you will find a quick disconnect for it by the engine on the starboard side. You can just disconnect that to test. If the fuse doesn't blow anymore replace the pump. If it still does then you have bigger problems.

+1
    Which fuse are you talking about......3 amp or 20 amp. If 3 amp, the bilge pump is bad & needs replacing.

It is the bottom fuse in the holder which according to the manual is the "main" fuse.

Just had this exact thing happen to my 08 yesterday, I disconnected the pump and rode all day. I going to take it out today and look at it, where would I buy one? Im sure a OEM is high dollar looking for an aftermarket one.

+1
    I going to take it out today and look at it, where would I buy one? Im sure a OEM is high dollar looking for an aftermarket one.

Stock is a Rule pump. They're available at most of the online marine supplies. OEM Yamaha replacement (Yamaha part # F1B-U8360-01-00) costs from $80 to about $120. You should be able to get an aftermarket replacement for under $50, once you have the stocker in-hand to get the rated flow specs. All the info you need to order should be on the pump. You may have to splice on the wire plug from the existing pump to the aftermarket replacement.

Before you buy a replacement, simply removing and cleaning the stocker may alleviate the problem. Zip ties ends, small screws, etc. are notorious for slipping past the strainer and intermittantly jamming the impeller - causing the pump to overheat and pop the fuse.
    You'll be amazed at how much crap collects down, there once you have the OEM pump out of the hull.

+1
    You get the same RULE pump from amazon for $25 or lower! That's what I did!

+1
    Yep, you can save a few bucks buying a replacement from an online retailer instead of the OEM replacement. Only difference is it won't have a Yamaha connector on it, which can easily be cut off your old pump & spliced on, & comes with an extra wire for a switch. I upgraded mine to the 800GPH Automatic Rule. It's a little taller but has the same diameter as the 500, so it will still fit in the rubber strap.
    Quote Originally Posted by volltrex View Post
    Which fuse are you talking about......3 amp or 20 amp. If 3 amp, the bilge pump is bad & needs replacing.
    Mine blew the 20a fuse when the pump went bad.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainReza View Post
    You get the same RULE pump from amazon for $25 or lower! That's what I did!
    The $20 500's aren't the same as the OEM pump. The OEM pump is Rule's automatic model that turns on every 2-1/2 minutes & then shuts itself off. Amazon has the auto 500's for just over $50...still a nice savings over the OEM replacement though. I just installed a pair of the cheaper non-auto 500's in my Superjet, & another difference I noticed is they don't have the stainless screen in the plastic strainer basket. If you didn't scavenge the screen from your old pump, it might be a good idea to check it more often to make sure the impeller isn't gunked up.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mjh3ides View Post
    Yep, you can save a few bucks buying a replacement from an online retailer instead of the OEM replacement. Only difference is it won't have a Yamaha connector on it, which can easily be cut off your old pump & spliced on, & comes with an extra wire for a switch. I upgraded mine to the 800GPH Automatic Rule. It's a little taller but has the same diameter as the 500, so it will still fit in the rubber strap.

Mine blew the 20a fuse when the pump went bad.

The $20 500's aren't the same as the OEM pump. The OEM pump is Rule's automatic model that turns on every 2-1/2 minutes & then shuts itself off. Amazon has the auto 500's for just over $50...still a nice savings over the OEM replacement though. I just installed a pair of the cheaper non-auto 500's in my Superjet, & another difference I noticed is they don't have the stainless screen in the plastic strainer basket. If you didn't scavenge the screen from your old pump, it might be a good idea to check it more often to make sure the impeller isn't gunked up.
    i think you'll find the oem pump turns on with ignition and stays on ,water in the bilge or not

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information