Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Body work

Body work

Hey everybody, last july, my brother and I purchased two '97 GP1200's for very cheap from family friends who unfortunately lost their uncle and were left with his waverunners and had no idea what to do with them. We used them a few times last summer and they run awesome. Now that we got them back from winter storage it's time to tackle the bad part about them. One has some hull damage on the bow and I want to get some second opinions about how to approach the situation. If you take a look at the pictures you can see mostly just what looks like the fiberglass is sort of "peeling off" my plan for this was to clean it really good, apply some body filler, sand it down and paint it. If you look at the 3rd picture this spot is deeper and makes me kind of uncomfortable and I was planning on applying a few layers of fiberglass before the body filler. The hull is very solid and there are no soft spots, the pictures actually make it look worse than it is because I really zoomed in, but I want to fix it before it has a chance to get worse. Please give me some opinions, thank you
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0122.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	64.8 KB 
ID:	272142   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0125.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	272143   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0123.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	272144   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0124.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	127.4 KB 
ID:	272145   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0126.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	272146  

+1
    I know just enough about this to be dangerous...but not enough to offer professional advise. So take this info as a suggestion...
    I don't think body filler will stick well enough. You need to use epoxy that is compatible with with SMC. The hull is SMC (Sheet Molded Compound) not regular fiberglass. Normal fiberglass repairs won't stick. I use Duramix 4050 SMC Fiberglass Backer Repair epoxy just because I have easy access to it through my work. But there are others available.
    Prep and clean the area, then spread the epoxy on with a plastic body filler spreader, let it dry, sand it smooth, and spray paint it with white EPOXY paint. It has to be epoxy paint. That's how I would fix the 3rd pic. Not sure what's going on in the first 2 pics. It looks like a previous repair is flaking off?
    This is just a DIY'er way of doing it, not a 100% professional repair. So I'm not sure how well it'll last.

+1
    This is the paint I use:

Banned User
    +1
    I have used the west system epoxy resin either mixed with the chopped glass strand filler they sell or with fiberglass mat. Grind out all of the bad glass and use the resin and glass to build it back up. Sand it smooth. It takes some effort to sand. Prime and paint and you should be good to go.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollander93 View Post
    Hey everybody, last july, my brother and I purchased two '97 GP1200's for very cheap from family friends who unfortunately lost their uncle and were left with his waverunners and had no idea what to do with them. We used them a few times last summer and they run awesome. Now that we got them back from winter storage it's time to tackle the bad part about them. One has some hull damage on the bow and I want to get some second opinions about how to approach the situation. If you take a look at the pictures you can see mostly just what looks like the fiberglass is sort of "peeling off" my plan for this was to clean it really good, apply some body filler, sand it down and paint it. If you look at the 3rd picture this spot is deeper and makes me kind of uncomfortable and I was planning on applying a few layers of fiberglass before the body filler. The hull is very solid and there are no soft spots, the pictures actually make it look worse than it is because I really zoomed in, but I want to fix it before it has a chance to get worse. Please give me some opinions, thank you
    You need some Epoxy resin repair before any paintwork or it will just come apart again. West Systems Epoxy resin and repair products work very well on SMC.

+1
    Looks like a bad repair possibly with polyester resin. If so, you need to strip all of it and get down to the original damage and asses the situation from there. As mentioned above, West system or any other epoxy resin will do the trick.

So after uploading pictures from my camera to my computer I forgot that I never updated this post. I ended up buying the west systems 105 kit for about 50 bucks. As we started sanding, it turned out that it was a previous repair that went bad. After lots and lots of sanding and a little fiberglass for a couple cracks, we mixed up some epoxy with filler to get it to the consistency of peanut butter and spread that liberally over the front end. Let it sit for 24 hours and then sanded and shaped it (having the other ski as a reference helped alot) finally gave 4 coats of epoxy paint and shes done. Im very happy with how it came out. The ski was just in the water for over a month and when we pulled it out and cleaned it up, the bow is still in great shape. Thanks to everyone for the advice ( before pictures are at the top of this thread)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0153.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	279122   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0163.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	279123   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0175.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	68.6 KB 
ID:	279124   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0177.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	279120   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0179.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	279121  

A child of five would understand this. Go get one. pierowman's Avatar
    +1
    WOW! good job that turned out great.

+1
    The 97 hulls were notoriusly thin and weak.... they had a lot of flex to them. They had a tendency to crack about where the front motor mounts hit the bow (basicly at the water line). It would crack if you were jumping large waves or hard racing in rough water. If it ever cracks there, it is going to be VERY difficult to repair properly. Fortunately for you, your repairs appear to be mostly cosmetic. Those boats are a lot of fun, and it appears that you did a great job repairing it.

The West system was an excellent choice.

+1
    That does look great, like a pro did it. I used the west system on some cracks and it didn't turn out nearly that good. Nice work.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information