Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Help!!! Water leaking in hull through driveshaft seal at high RPM Ultra150/STX-R

Got my project STX-R on the water today for some testing. I idled around and pulled the seat everything seemed fine. I made a couple fast passes and pulled the seat again. This time it seemed as if someone put a garden hose in there. I had a friend drive while i sat on the back deck with the seat off. I noticed at high rpm, water rushing into the ski at high volume through the driveshaft seal in the bearing carrier. The seals and bearings are brand new. Anyone seen this before? Sucks I have to pull the motor for a second time but I don't want this to happen again when I put everything back together.

It sounds like the drive shaft aluminum tunnel piece (looks like a funnel) has seperated or is seperating from the hull.
    Kawi used some kind of brownish glue or bondo to glue the tunnel piece. If that's the case you can use MarineTex or similar adhesive to glue it back.
    1. Remove the engine
    2. Remove the drive shaft (pull forward)
    3. Remove the tunnel piece
    4. Either clean off the glue from the old tunnel piece or get a new one.
    5. Reglue the tunnel piece back on the hull.
    6. Lay a few pieces of fiberglass layers over the tunnel piece. This is to prevent this from happening it agian.

To confirm that's where the leak is, back in the trailer with the skid TIED DOWN into water and run the engine.
    Or fill the hull with garden hose water and then watch where the water would be leaking out.

3. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by meangreenman View Post
    It sounds like the drive shaft aluminum tunnel piece (looks like a funnel) has seperated or is seperating from the hull.
    Kawi used some kind of brownish glue or bondo to glue the tunnel piece. If that's the case you can use MarineTex or similar adhesive to glue it back.
    1. Remove the engine
    2. Remove the drive shaft (pull forward)
    3. Remove the tunnel piece
    4. Either clean off the glue from the old tunnel piece or get a new one.
    5. Reglue the tunnel piece back on the hull.
    6. Lay a few pieces of fiberglass layers over the tunnel piece. This is to prevent this from happening it agian.

To confirm that's where the leak is, back in the trailer with the skid TIED DOWN into water and run the engine.
    Or fill the hull with garden hose water and then watch where the water would be leaking out.
    I have already reinforced that piece. I stuck it down with 3M 5200 then threw 2 layers of glass over the cloth. That piece is never coming out. Water is leaking past the seals in the carrier but only when you hit the gas hard and it goes into higher RPM's. If I floor it, I watch water spray past the seals that the driveshaft goes through.

+1
    Are your engine mounts good? Engine might be moving.

Did you replace the seals? If so, did you put them in facing the correct direction?

How did you align the driveshaft coupling/driveshaft holder when you put it back together?

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Are your engine mounts good? Engine might be moving.

Did you replace the seals? If so, did you put them in facing the correct direction?

How did you align the driveshaft coupling/driveshaft holder when you put it back together?

I double checked the Motor Mounts and they are all solid. I'm not new to broken mounts. lol.

I replaced the seals and put them in the same way I removed the old ones. flat sides to the back and you can see the circular spring when you look at the holder.

I aligned the shaft by leaving the carrier loose, mounting the engine in a position that the coupler looked straight, then tightened everything down. I then put the pump on.

I am starting to think it's an alignment issue. Can't think of why else water would just gush in at WOT. I verified the water is definitely passing the shaft through the seals but only when you go WOT.

+1
    Not how I do it. I mount the pump and the engine, spin the driveshaft a couple of times, then do the bearing carrier.

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Not how I do it. I mount the pump and the engine, spin the driveshaft a couple of times, then do the bearing carrier.
    I'll give that a shot. I should just have to loosen the carrier, spin the motor a few times, then bolt the carrier back in place. I can't remember if I 5200'd the metal piece the carrier sits on to the hull. I did 5200 the carrier to the metal piece.

+1
    Only use 5200 on stuff you don't plan to ever remove.

Thats why im looking for a new carrier and the metal funnel piece the carrier bolts to. Doesn't look like they sell that funnel piece separate from the hull.

+1
    I haven't looked at it, can you fabricate one?

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information