98 gsx dribbling fuel

my 1998 gsx runs perfect for about 2 minutes on the water. then it slowly bogs down and dies. i took a closer look at it and realized that the fuel in the fuel lines is just barely dribbling towards the carbs. at idle, it fills up the fuel filter but then when i get on it, the fuel filter empties out and the engine runs out of fuel thus causing a bog and usually dieing. i blew compressed air through all the lines and into the fuel pickup inside the tank. everything checked out good. the only thing i cant diagnose is the fuel selector. if i run a fuel line directly into the tank, the flow seems much better, although i cant ride it like that . i dont know what to do. the selector is so buried and theres fuel lines everywhere.

Have you ever replaced the fuel lines or do you still have the grey tempo fuel lines that kill many PWC's?

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    you possibly have a plugged fuel tank vent. there are two. one comes out the side of the hull next to the battery vent and the other is the stopper for the hood. if you replaced the fuel lines you have a line backwards. I did it once and it would start but you couldnt get it to rev. I think that I had the main hooked up to the return or something.

i didnt replace the fuel lines, but somebody must have at some point. they are all pretty new. i dont think i have a clogged tank vent because i did all of this diagnosing with the fill tube removed. the bike will rev up fine out of the water. once in the water and under load, it runs itself out of fuel within minutes.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    sounds like backward fuel lines

you mean backwards on the tank pickup? theres four nipples that stick up out of it. how do i decide which one goes where? i left everything the way it was. the bike has never ran correctly since ive had it so maybe the lines are in fact backwards.

if you look on the fuel baffle - you will see "ON" - "RES" reserve - "RET" return and the "VENT" is the one with the molded pointed arrow tit below it..

Thread Information