Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Resident Coffee Addict Oshawapilot's Avatar
    +1

2000 virage fuel starvation?

Ok guys, first big weekend with the new skis - yesterday was an absolute blast except for the $100 worth of gas at the end of it.

Had a lean issue on the low end but a carb adjustment fixed that 100% yesterday.

Loaded back in the water this morning (brought them back up to the campsite for the night) and had troubles getting the virage started. Discovered I had forgot to plug in the lanyard before cranking and had probably flooded it. Some ether and she startd right up and cleared.

Blasted around all morning. Pulled the tube, kneeboarding, waterskiiers, the whole bit.

Came back in and let the machine sit for about 45 minutes and then the wife hopped on...and it wouldn't start.

Traced it down to what appears to be fuel starvation. Confirmed fuel coming from the tank. Tried bypassing the shutoff thinking perhaps it got clogged. Tons of fuel getting to the carb either way. Eventually started feeding gas directly to the carb and it runs fine...until I stop feeding it and then it sputters and dies, even with choke..

Pulled the pulse line and it has lots of pulse it seems.

Ahy thoughts? All signs point to the fuel pump having taken a crap, but I just rebuit the stupid thing a month ago as a preventative measure against this very thing.

Any other ideas? Are these keihin carbs susceptible to heat soak or something that play havoc with them?

I'm letting it cool down now on the trailer and am going to try again in a few hours.

+1
    Nobody?

Still no joy later in the evening. Charging the battery now for another last ditch attempt this morning.

???? I dont know about ether on a 2 stroke but I guess if you got no choice. How old are the carbs, maybe a diaphram took a crap on you. Pull the main line of the pump and crank it, yes it will make a mess but you can rule that out if it is working.

+1
    As it stops as soon as you stop feeding fule then only means 2 things:
    1- Fuel pump not pumping
    2- Blockage in the fuel delivery system. Did you clean entire fuel system? Remants/debris could block your fuel pump or carb.

As a precaution, I'd always put in a fuel filter right before my fuel pump, so if I didn't do a good job cleaning the filter will catch it

+1
    Plenty of fuel getting to the pump, confirmed.

Can't pull the outlet and confirm its actually pumping though as the fuel pump is internal on these carbs.

Gotta be the pump or the internal screen is clogged in the carb, no real other options. I'll get it in the garage this evening and pull it apart.

Sorry, I'm not familar with many skis and was just suggesting anything to help. For sure sounds like its in the carbs.

+1
    Check pulse line as well, hose that connects from fuel pump to crank case, make sure it's not cracked or clogged. Fuel pump needs good pulse to operate.

Banned User
    +1
    Check engine compression on the cylinder with the pulse line attached. Just to make sure there are no problems there.

+1
    I found the issue. Yanked the carb off it this evening and went at it on the bench.

Fuel pump checked out perfect. Weird.

Yanked off the opposite cover (jet side) and a screw fell out when I removed the cover.. Doh!

Turns out I guess I hadn't torqued the screw that retains the entire jet plate onto the main body when I rebuilt the carb last month. The screw must have vibrated itself out and then everything came loose internally.

I put it all back together, installed a new inline fuel filter for good measure and then Reassembled the machine. Choked it, cranked, and watched it fill the new fuel filter in record time - as good as a confirmation the pump is pumping strong as I needed.

A few more seconds of cranking And she roared to life.

Gotta love the simple fixes. This machine is a dream to work on., so simple.

Banned User
    +1
    Good deal!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information