+1

Oil and battery light are on constantly

Hello all, this is my first time on a pwc forum. My skis oil and battery light are acting up after years of reliability.
    First of all it's a 1997 seadoo GTI with the 717 rotax engine no mods.

last season about 8months ago, I had rolled it, and righted it correctly, limped to the dock and drained it. There was about 10gallons in it. No lights on or anything sounding/responding Differently. So i said f$&@ it and ran it for about an hour after with absolutely no problems. Took it out a month ago and after I was done and got it to the dock to leave, I noticed the battery and oil lights on. Battery is good. Oil is full.

Anyone got any ideas? Any help is greatly appreciated.

James

+1
    Have you measured the charging voltage while the engine is running? If the system isn't charging properly, then you may get the battery light. The battery voltage without the engine running should be approximately 12.4v or higher for a fully charged battery. While the engine is running, you'll probably be seeing 13+ volts at the battery.

As far as the oil light goes, does your oil tank have a sender unit. I'm thinking that it does and perhaps the sender (or float) has gone bad. I've had to replace 2 fuel senders in my 4 skis. 1 Yami and 1 Sea Doo.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyual777 View Post
    Have you measured the charging voltage while the engine is running? If the system isn't charging properly, then you may get the battery light. The battery voltage without the engine running should be approximately 12.4v or higher for a fully charged battery. While the engine is running, you'll probably be seeing 13+ volts at the battery.

As far as the oil light goes, does your oil tank have a sender unit. I'm thinking that it does and perhaps the sender (or float) has gone bad. I've had to replace 2 fuel senders in my 4 skis. 1 Yami and 1 Sea Doo.

yes I've measured it three times now. using a very basic tester(no 1/10th of a volt reading), the voltage was 12 engine off, and 13 running at something like 5000 rpm(if it idles at 3000 from factory) I've done other reading, and someone said it may be wiring to the gauge, or its the gauge itself malfunctioning. Why dont these things have OBD1 haha ???!?

If the oil sender is broken, will it provide oil to the engine and work properly?? like an oil pump? Or is it just a sensor malfunction type of problem... Im worried I did some damage to the engine.

thanks!

A smart admits!A wicked excuses!An idiot insists! mitsakosgt's Avatar
    +1
    The oil pump is located under the carb.The sender unit is on the tank.Pull the sender off the tank to see if there is any damage to it.

As for the battery light may be the gauge that dont work properly!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mitsakosgt View Post
    The oil pump is located under the carb.The sender unit is on the tank.Pull the sender off the tank to see if there is any damage to it.

As for the battery light may be the gauge that dont work properly!

thanks! I'll find out how much each one costs and go from there.

So you guys think that taking it out for a run this weekend is a good idea?
    Do I risk blowing the engine up?

the oil sensor is in the oil tank - if there is oil in the tank and the sensor is bad - it's just a warning sensor..

Keep the oil tank full and you should be ok..

if you unplug the oil sensor, the light should stay on.. jump the two pins on the wire harness side, the oil light should go off.. If all is true - replace sensor..

The battery is another issue - these boats need a good battery to run properly...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by KYHI View Post
    the oil sensor is in the oil tank - if there is oil in the tank and the sensor is bad - it's just a warning sensor..

Keep the oil tank full and you should be ok..

if you unplug the oil sensor, the light should stay on.. jump the two pins on the wire harness side, the oil light should go off.. If all is true - replace sensor..

The battery is another issue - these boats need a good battery to run properly...

Just figured I would ask, The ski runs absolutely perfect and it smokes like normal, so its getting some oil, just wasnt sure. Thanks again for the help, I'll definitely post up results when I figure it out.

Thread Information