Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Another super charger failure! Question about repair?

So I've got a 2007 Speedster 150 215hp.

At the end of last summer and the 1st time out this year I noticed the boat wasn't running tip top. So I did some research on here and found out about the supercharger washer issue.

Went to check the slip and found I could spin the shaft with my fingers (not a good start to my diagnoses lol). I pulled the charger and found the inner ceramic washer missing (also it appears the needle bearings no longer have a cage around them under the drive gear, normal?). So at this point I need to rebuild the whole charger and add steel washers. Now here is my question, I thought I read somewhere in here that if you loose (break) the washer, the engine needs to be pulled and inspected for further damage and that there is a good chance the oil pump needs to be replaced, is this correct? I did find 3 pin head size metal pieces in the oil filter baffles and by pin head I mean pin head (very small).

ANY advice on this topic would be swell, thanks in advance guys/girls!

+1
    It's time to pull the engine. Account for every piece of the charger. Split the cases and fully flush the engine and then rebuild. Replace your main bearings, rod bearings and rings. Be sure to flush fully and reassemble to proper spec. Or find yourself a good engine builder.

Quote Originally Posted by MSRXP View Post
    It's time to pull the engine. Account for every piece of the charger. Split the cases and fully flush the engine and then rebuild. Replace your main bearings, rod bearings and rings. Be sure to flush fully and reassemble to proper spec. Or find yourself a good engine builder.
    I have a charger for a 04 rxp rebuilt with 14 hours on it with a bill of sale
    dont no if it will fit your craft
    id take 350.00 for here.

I'm not sure a full rebuild is nessasary (yet). The oil pump sump should have a large opening screen to catch large particles, the oil pump will tear up (and damage the oil pump) the small particles that the screen misses and the oil filter catches the rest before the engine sees the filtered oil. The is NO reason to replace a single bearing or ring if there is no damage. At this point being I've only seen 3 pieses of less than .5 mm of aluminum oil FLAKE in the filter, it would tell me that the engine and even pump are still in tact. Im curious to know how many people have lost a ceramic washer and how far they went with the tear down/rebuild. It sounds pretty exsessive at this point to assume the engine has to have $1000s of dollars worth of repair and all thats been removed is a SC.

+1
    I've had this happen on a 06 rxt.
    My mechanic pulled the motor and cleaned it out including the 2 screens 1 on each end of motor and rebuilt the s/c for $600.
    I watched him do it in 3 1/2 hours.
    So yes its gotta come out but stealerships are going to band u for $2k or more..
    Just don't run it any more till u pull the motor.

+1
    Flush the oil cooler as well.......

+1
    If your in Florida I've got a Great mechanic 4 u.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by vdubgolf81 View Post
    I'm not sure a full rebuild is nessasary (yet). The oil pump sump should have a large opening screen to catch large particles, the oil pump will tear up (and damage the oil pump) the small particles that the screen misses and the oil filter catches the rest before the engine sees the filtered oil. The is NO reason to replace a single bearing or ring if there is no damage. At this point being I've only seen 3 pieses of less than .5 mm of aluminum oil FLAKE in the filter, it would tell me that the engine and even pump are still in tact. Im curious to know how many people have lost a ceramic washer and how far they went with the tear down/rebuild. It sounds pretty exsessive at this point to assume the engine has to have $1000s of dollars worth of repair and all thats been removed is a SC.
    Trust me. Split the cases. Clean it up and reassemble. It's not the large piece I'd be concerned with. It the smaller ones you cannot see that will infiltrate the bearing and wear over time. It's your choice but I'd take it apart, flush and clean the engine and reassemble for piece of mind. If it were my ski.

+1
    I'm going thru the same thing right now but in a boat. Im going to pull the motor out of the boat pull apart to try and find all pieces of the washers then just do a thou row flush of the engine. But it I guess I won't know for sure until I pull apart to know exactly how much damage there is.

Trust me. Split the cases. Clean it up and reassemble. It's not the large piece I'd be concerned with. It the smaller ones you cannot see that will infiltrate the bearing and wear over time. It's your choice but I'd take it apart, flush and clean the engine and reassemble for piece of mind. If it were my ski.
    Well I researched this all night and I think I'm going to take it in stages. Pull the motor and start going through it. Check the sump and oil screen, then pump. Once I know whats there or not I'll go to the next steps. The fact that the filter is not filled with metal from a destroyed pump, the issue is on my side so far lol.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information