Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

More Starting Issues - 04 GP1300R

Ok, so this is the 2nd time this has happened to me out of like 4-5 outings. She starts up fine in the morning, runs all day, stops and starts without issues. Starts up on trailer to blow out salt water before the trek home. Get her home, she fires up to flush out motor, then while I'm cleaning her (she is idling) she stalls. I go to restart her, and starter/motor won't turn over. After about 3-4 tries, small bit of smoke comes from starter area. Let her cool off, dry everything, and sit overnight. Charged battery. Same thing. UGH!!!

Bad starter I'm thinking. Maybe bad battery too?? What starter brand should I go with? Or is there something else I should try? Trying to stay inexpensive, but want good part. Probably toss a new gel battery in her as well.

Thanks in advance.

+1
    First things first, test the battery. You should have at least 12.5 volts with the engine off. With it running you should see about 13.5 V. You can also have the battery load tested for free.

PWC batteries suck, and they don't last very long. If this is the original battery I can almost guarantee the problem is your battery.

+1
    All fixed. Called SBT and they informed me that it was hydrolocked by the symptoms. So I did what they said, and bam, she's running. Gotta take her for a 30 min drive after work to clean out the engine though...oh darn. LOL

I do agree, I still should replace the battery. Might help solve my intermittent misfire too.

how did it get hydrolocked?

+1
    Mainly because I was worn out and tired (and old). I was flushing ski, and cleaning out the truck, went to rev it up, and it stalled and wouldn't fire right back up (low on fuel and was tilted for draining)...couldn't get to the hose fast enough and it filled up. WEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

All fixed now though. Ran great last night on my 45-60 min test ride. Even got some GoPro footage.

Quote Originally Posted by bgruhn76 View Post
    Mainly because I was worn out and tired (and old). I was flushing ski, and cleaning out the truck, went to rev it up, and it stalled and wouldn't fire right back up (low on fuel and was tilted for draining)...couldn't get to the hose fast enough and it filled up. WEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

All fixed now though. Ran great last night on my 45-60 min test ride. Even got some GoPro footage.
    good that you got it running and rode it around after realizing what happened. what was the amount of time from water ingestion to when you finally blew the water out of the cylinders and ran the ski?

+1
    She sat loaded with fresh tap water from the hose from about 8pm Saturday until about 2pm Monday. Good thing it wasn't salt water. Probably just shortened the life of my motor quite a bit though. Already has 161 hours on original motor. Probably going to do a 1390 build when she lets loose.

Quote Originally Posted by bgruhn76 View Post
    She sat loaded with fresh tap water from the hose from about 8pm Saturday until about 2pm Monday. Good thing it wasn't salt water. Probably just shortened the life of my motor quite a bit though. Already has 161 hours on original motor. Probably going to do a 1390 build when she lets loose.
    Holy shit!!! any type of water is no good!!! when an engine gets water in it, you immediately need to get it out of there and run it like a raped ape to get it nice and hot to burn off any residual moisture in the cases... Saturday night to Monday is an eternity!
    man I hope you squeaked by on this one, but don`t be surprised at all if the crank shits the bed soon... good luck bro...

+1
    Yeah, I'm expecting it to die at this point. Just gonna ride it til then. My bad. It happens. I better set some cash aside for my 1390. lol

It sat that long because I thought something else was wrong with it actually.

+1
    however, she ran GREAT last night. So maybe I got lucky.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information