Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Ethanol Sucks

+1

Ethanol Sucks

Yep. Ethanol is garbage. I work in the fuel industry and i can tell you it is a complete joke. Please, with all due respect, no argument is valid for it, so dont even try.That is not what this thread is about anyways.

That being said; With the rising prices of gasoline, especially at marine docks, I have been trying to find the cheapest gas in town. I have a couple of places that are cheaper than any other, but i am concerned with the ethanol content. 10% currently and maybe soon to be 15%. I have always been told that the smaller the engine the worse ethanol is for it, generally. Seems to make sense to me

So what i want to know is; what can we run in the gas tank to help counteract the damaging effects of ethanol?? What is going to be safe to run every time i fill it up??

Yes, i have seen all the ad's and talk of this product and that product. But what really works?? What is really safe??? Is there such a product??

Thanks for any info.

+1
    There are places that sell ethanol free gas but you need to fin out who in your are does. Most of the time the will be at same facilities you can buy race gas out of the fuel pump. As far as any products out their to stabilize or.help with ethanol issue I haven't heard of. Only recommended product I know of that has helped me ethanol/moisture issue was fuel stabilizer.

^I agree. I'm not sure any of those products do much of anything.

I know you said you wanted the cheapest gas possible, but here is a website that lists all of the ethanol free gas stations in the US. Take a look... maybe you have one close by that is relatively cheap.

+1
    I ran 93 pump fuel from 7/11 in my 2006 FX up until the day I sold it. Not a single problem.

Also, I was told by the mechanics that if you fill up your ski at the local gas station and you run the tank out every time, there will be no long term effects. It is only if you let it sit for long periods of time.

+1
    Thanks for the web site on ethanol free stations!!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Xrunner View Post
    That being said; With the rising prices of gasoline, especially at marine docks, I have been trying to find the cheapest gas in town. I have a couple of places that are cheaper than any other, but i am concerned with the ethanol content. 10% currently and maybe soon to be 15%. I have always been told that the smaller the engine the worse ethanol is for it, generally. Seems to make sense to me
    Yes I posted an article up a while back that shows mechanics are now saying as many as 70% of small engine repairs are due to ethanol. Here's another related article with more info...
    http://fuelfix.com/blog/2011/02/07/e...small-engines/

So what i want to know is; what can we run in the gas tank to help counteract the damaging effects of ethanol?? What is going to be safe to run every time i fill it up??
    Funny thing; I was at Wal-Mart the other day picking up some STA-BIL for my boat, and I noticed they now have a green Marine Formula STA-BIL which claims to have a special enhanced formula specifically for Ethanol Blended fuels. Maybe they've had it for a while, but I never noticed it before. Anyway, I have used regular red STA-BIL for years in our boat (it works), but I never used it in the skis because the fuel never sits in them for more than a few days. I thought about trying the Marine Formula to counter ethanol but I wanted to get some opinions on here as to whether or not it was worth it. I don't like putting extra stuff in my gas tank unless it's proven to be a real benefit. So if anyone is using this product, let me know if you like it. I'll probably try it next time...

http://www.goldeagle.com/brands/stab...marine_formula

NJ -> MD Jet ski trip fuel mileage champ carguy89's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by YoYamma View Post
    Funny thing; I was at Wal-Mart the other day picking up some STA-BIL for my boat, and I noticed they now have a green Marine Formula STA-BIL which claims to have a special enhanced formula specifically for Ethanol Blended fuels. Maybe they've had it for a while, but I never noticed it before. Anyway, I have used regular red STA-BIL for years in our boat (it works), but I never used it in the skis because the fuel never sits in them for more than a few days. I thought about trying the Marine Formula to counter ethanol but I wanted to get some opinions on here as to whether or not it was worth it. I don't like putting extra stuff in my gas tank unless it's proven to be a real benefit. So if anyone is using this product, let me know if you like it. I'll probably try it next time...

I've used it for years and haven't had issues.

+1
    I am with ya on that YoYamma. I dont put anything in the tank unless i know it will benefit it.(thats why i dont like putting ethanol in there. it does NOTHING)

I know that using StaBil or whatever is good when storing a vehicle that has ethanol gasoline. But i am talking about when they are actually running.

I feel i should put something in there because;

I dont always run the tank totally dry every time. And even if i did, over the course of time, it is still causing damage as it flows through your system. Though you wont see it for a while ethanol is very corrosive. Thats why it cannot be pipe lined around. It has to be trucked and shipped by barge or ship or rail car. And those vessels run into all kinds of problems because of it. I work at a fuel terminal marine dock that sees them just about everyday.

@carguy89: Do you run the stuff in your tank constantly? Or just when storing it?

+1
    I know that using StaBil or whatever is good when storing a vehicle that has ethanol gasoline. But i am talking about when they are actually running... though you wont see it for a while ethanol is very corrosive.
    Yeah, I agree about the corrosion, that's why I was thinking you might like this product.
    I've got to where I use the regular red STA-BIL in our boat all the time. (Yamaha 4 stroke outboard)
    But now that our local store is carrying the marine formula, I think I'm going to try it...

Marine Formula STA-BIL®
    • America's #1 Selling Marine Fuel Additive Brand
    • Best Ethanol Blended Fuel Enhancer
    • More than FOUR TIMES the Fuel System Cleaner than in Regular STA-BIL® Fuel Stabilizer
    Double the corrosion preventer than in Regular STA-BIL® Fuel Stabilizer
    • Prevents corrosion from moisture & water attraction
    • Improves marine engine performance year-round, not just for seasonal storage

+1
    Yep. Ethanol is garbage. I work in the fuel industry and i can tell you it is a complete joke. Please, with all due respect, no argument is valid for it, so dont even try.That is not what this thread is about anyways.
    E85. Just saying....

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=E85+fuel+ron+rating.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information