Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

96 sl700 not getting gas

Hi all... Having some issues with my jetski ... Its not getting gas to through carbs .. I've changed the fuel sending unit ...I've changed the petcock .. I've also bypassed the petcock ..I've changed out all the fuel lines and filters with new ones...still no fuel flow ... Important guessing from what I've read object here that it will probably be the diaphram in the carb ..are there any other ideas of what cools be wrong before i take off the carbs and attempt to rebuild? I've never rebuilt a carb are before so if i could try somethinges else first please let me know... Id really appreciate it will.. Also just so that everyone knows i have put a little gas directly into the carbs and it will fire right up for a second until it burns that gas off... Any info would be greatly appreciated ...thanks in advance

How long have you had this skis? You probably need to re build the carbs anyhow. I would probably point the blame at your fuel pump though. Take the lines off your fuel pump and crank until fuel come out. If its not flying out like crazy right away then its the pump. But if the pump is bad then its surely time to re build the carbs, neither is hard to do. Give us some history here, has the ski ever ran and what have you done to it.

Quote Originally Posted by nick072010 View Post
    How long have you had this skis? You probably need to re build the carbs anyhow. I would probably point the blame at your fuel pump though. Take the lines off your fuel pump and crank until fuel come out. If its not flying out like crazy right away then its the pump. But if the pump is bad then its surely time to re build the carbs, neither is hard to do. Give us some history here, has the ski ever ran and what have you done to it.
    I've had it for about 6 months however it was left at a marina for about 6 years prior to me getting it the original owner said it wasn't getting fuel so he parked it 6 years later i got it .. Correct me if im wrong but i didn't think this model had a fuel pump I've had the motor completely out and never seen one I've read that it didn't have one that the carb are just sucked the gas from the tank

Banned User
    +1
    The 700s have the fuel pump mounted to the PTO carb. There is no line you can pull off to see if its flowing fuel. Double check your connections to the fuel tank and make sure they are correct.

Ok, I get that the newer models have fixed pump on the carbs now. Skizzle if that ski sat for 6 years you very badly need to go through the entire fuel system. New lines, and re-build your carbs.

Quote Originally Posted by nick072010 View Post
    Ok, I get that the newer models have fixed pump on the carbs now. Skizzle if that ski sat for 6 years you very badly need to go through the entire fuel system. New lines, and re-build your carbs.
    I have replaced every fuel line, the petcock , and the fuel sending unit ,i suppose that the only thing thats left is the carbs .. But like said i just wanted to double check .. Honestly i may have hooked up some of the fuel lines incorrectly are the any diagrams out there to compare it with to make sure i got it right ? i did bypass the petcock and go straight to the water seperator from the main on the fuel sending unit ..please give me your thoughts i will mess around with the hoses a little to see if i can get it straight .thanks the help guys...

+1
    Have you replaced your pulse line (s) and checked the pulse fitting(s) on the crankcase? These can get clogged with debris and sludge after sitting around for years.......

No i sure haven't i will deff. do that this evening im sure everything is original i doubt anything had ever been changed or cleaned.. Im assuming this pulse line is what pulls the gas to the carbs ?? as I've said b4 im a novice when it comes to working on jetskis..i just don't have the extra money to have someone fix it so im trying to do it myself... I recently moved to a lake access community andsomeone gave me this ski I've been trying to work on it everyday after work for the past few months so i can get out on that lake that's staring at me everyday it sucks to watch other skis cruise around the lake and mine is just setting in the garage i know whatever the issue is it will be simple and if it were in front of a mechanic he would have it running in no time ..so hopefully with all the help here i will be able to get something accomplished

So you guys rock...i switched around a couple of the fuel lines and it fired right up ...however i will still be rebuilding the carbs...thanks for all the help... Now i do have one other issue and that's with a oil leak... The hose that goes from the bottom of the oil tank to the oil pump on the front of the motor connects with a L shaped connector and oil leaks from this connection .. The L shaped connector will pull right out of the oil pump there doesn't seem to be any threads or anything on it ...any advice ?

Delete the oil pump and run premix, if you want to, I feel alot safer that way, the oil pumps are reliable but the LINES and in your case the connection isnt.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information