Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    brad_720's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    65

    Is anyone planning on a Bimini trip June 18th?

    We'll be heading across if the weather holds.
    -Brad


  2. #2
    Neighborhood Superman SlowStang305's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    1,324
    +1
    7
    Brad got your message. I won't be going in June this year.

  3. #3
    brad_720's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    65
    We're set to leave TX the day after tomorrow enroute to Miami. I have to say though, the weather doesn't look terribly promising so I was hoping to get recommendations from you SouthEasters...

    Here's the NWS weather forecast:
    http://forecast.weather.gov/shmrn.ph...651&syn=amz600

    As of today it's only going out to Sunday but Sunday doesn't look good.
    SUNDAY
    EAST NORTHEAST WINDS 10 TO 15 KNOTS. SEAS 3 TO 5 FEET WITH
    OCCASIONAL SEAS UP TO 6 FEET. INTRACOASTAL WATERS A MODERATE CHOP.
    CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS.

    Regular weather reports say Monday will be ENE winds at 13 mph so I expect the water will be the same as Sunday.

    Do you think we should:
    1) Abort altoghether due to local forcasts
    2) Go anyway and putt around the Miami area
    3) Go and still try and push across

    The thing that really stinks is the Bimini Sands reservations. Have to give 2 weeks notice to cancel otherwise you get a credit for another time. We can't just pick up and drive to Miami on a moments notice...
    Last edited by brad_720; 06-13-2012 at 08:37 AM. Reason: typo

  4. #4
    TheEngineer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    934
    +1
    131
    Quote Originally Posted by brad_720 View Post
    We're set to leave TX the day after tomorrow enroute to Miami. I have to say though, the weather doesn't look terribly promising so I was hoping to get recommendations from you SouthEasters...

    Here's the NWS weather forecast:
    http://forecast.weather.gov/shmrn.ph...651&syn=amz600

    As of today it's only going out to Sunday but Sunday doesn't look good.
    SUNDAY
    EAST NORTHEAST WINDS 10 TO 15 KNOTS. SEAS 3 TO 5 FEET WITH
    OCCASIONAL SEAS UP TO 6 FEET. INTRACOASTAL WATERS A MODERATE CHOP.
    CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS.

    Regular weather reports say Monday will be ENE winds at 13 mph so I expect the water will be the same as Sunday.

    Do you think we should:
    1) Abort altoghether due to local forcasts
    2) Go anyway and putt around the Miami area
    3) Go and still try and push across

    The thing that really stinks is the Bimini Sands reservations. Have to give 2 weeks notice to cancel otherwise you get a credit for another time. We can't just pick up and drive to Miami on a moments notice...
    This site has been the most accurate for weather for me.... http://passageweather.com/

    It looks like it will be a rough and sloshy crossing. Not un-doable, but I wouldn't ride 2 up, and I'd make sure everyone has had chop experience. Based on the report as it stands today, I would advise on holding off...But it certainly could improve by the 18th.

  5. #5
    brad_720's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    65
    Thanks for the tip on the weather, looks like it's got a lot more detail.

    We won't be 2 up, just 1 person per 3 seater but they will be a bit heavier than normal with clothes, food, fuel, and misc.

    We've ridden in some big rolling waves down in the Gulf near South Padre and the Keys. What I'm most concerned about how the waves will affect our mileage and if it's really bad refueling would be much more difficult.

    I think we're leaning towards going down and keeping an eye on the weather. If the weather still looks iffy heading down to the Keys.

  6. #6
    john07ex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Orlando, Fl
    Posts
    478
    +1
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by brad_720 View Post
    Thanks for the tip on the weather, looks like it's got a lot more detail.

    We won't be 2 up, just 1 person per 3 seater but they will be a bit heavier than normal with clothes, food, fuel, and misc.

    We've ridden in some big rolling waves down in the Gulf near South Padre and the Keys. What I'm most concerned about how the waves will affect our mileage and if it's really bad refueling would be much more difficult.

    I think we're leaning towards going down and keeping an eye on the weather. If the weather still looks iffy heading down to the Keys.

    refuel? you wont eed to refuel at all from miami to bimini.
    at most its 68 miles..
    we made it with over a half tank left. The weather looks do'able but yes it may get a little rough. weather changes fast on the water.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-28-2012, 11:38 AM
  2. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 06-02-2012, 05:16 AM
  3. Is anyone on here a Kawasaki dealer or a dealer able to get Kawasaki parts?
    By jarcynvicnchris93 in forum Kawasaki Open Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-31-2009, 03:14 PM
  4. Anyone planning on going out this weekend????
    By steeevo66 in forum Jersey Riders
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-22-2009, 09:07 AM
  5. Is Anyone Here on Facebook?
    By boataddict in forum Open Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-29-2007, 09:39 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •