Question 1996 Polaris SLT 780 MFD Not Displaying RPM's?

Hello everyone. Quick question. Had my polaris in the shop last month for tune up basically and when it came back the MFD is not showing the RPM's anymore? Any ideas. It just shows 0 all the time.

Thanks in advance

Mark

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Check the yellow wires inside the elec box.

What exactly am I looking at with the yellow wires. I'm not very engine savy for these. Any pictures or something might help.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mwenholz1 View Post
    What exactly am I looking at with the yellow wires. I'm not very engine savy for these. Any pictures or something might help.
    When you open the electrical box, there should be 3 yellow wires attached at the circuit board. Make sure all of the are securely attached. See the picture in here http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl.com/electrical There is a metal connector in that photo with a yellow wire that is not pushed onto one of the terminals. All the terminals are marked with a the first letter of the color that connects.

That is a great help. So just open the electrical box and see if there is a yellow wire that is not connected. If there is then it will go on the board where it will say like Y/? correct. What if all the yellow wires are connected. Any ideas on why the RPM's would not be showing then.

+1
    The yellow wire from the stator provides the MFD with the signal for RPM. If all the wires are connected at the board, you would need to trace each down from the box and make sure there is continuity from the box to the 1 stator and 2 mfd. If everything checks out, it could be an internal issue with the MFD.

Not sure if the MFD reset procedure might help with that one, but wouldn't hurt to try.....

FD reset;
    You may need to first touch the Mode button to wake up the MFD
    Press and hold the MODE and SET buttons until CAL 0000 displays. The CAL display will usually show after 4 seconds
    Release both buttons?
    Press and hold the SET key
    While continuing to hold the SET key and within 2 seconds of pressing the SET key, press and hold the MODE key
    Don't release either key until the MFD shuts down (about ten seconds).
    After the MFD has shut itself down, press the mode key to turn the MFD on
    Depress the MODE key repeatedly until voltage is displayed and verify that the voltage reading has been restored.

Sounds good. I will check it out. I just find it funny that it worked prior to going into the shop and didn't work when coming back. It was only in to have the carbs tuned so I don't think he would have even been in the electrical box.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mwenholz1 View Post
    Sounds good. I will check it out. I just find it funny that it worked prior to going into the shop and didn't work when coming back. It was only in to have the carbs tuned so I don't think he would have even been in the electrical box.
    One would hope not...... but you never know, riding could have loosened the wire and the trip to the shop on the trailer could have made it pop loose.....

Sooo...how much for the 780? stimpsonjcat's Avatar
    +1
    You could also check that wire at the MFD connector, it should have 12VDC when the battery is connected.

Thread Information