+1

01 1200gpr Starting Issues.

I went to start my ski yesterday and it turned over real slow and then started to click when i mashed the start button. Well went and got a new battery because I thought that was the problem. So I get that battery put in and it is doing the same thing. After that I put it on the volt meter and I got that is was pulling less that 12V so I took it back up there and they tested it and said that it was showing 12.61V. I put it back in today and it did the same thing so I tapped it with the handle in of a screw driver and it started to turn over (sounded slow to me) and then it just started clicking again. Does that sound like the starter going bad to ya'll?

+1
    It sounds like the starter dragging or main battery cables losing connection unless you have major engine trouble.

+1
    Things to check. Didn't say how long was the last time you successfully started it or if it had any running issues previously, but:
    1.Check impeller to housing clearance and not binding
    2.Remove spark plugs and see if it improves in turning over. Also see if you can turn the pto by hand at this point. No power hooked up just in case.
    3.Check ground cable from battery to starter and the positive cable from electronics box and make sure properly secured.
    4. Is the voltage regulator hot?

If it had no previous issues, proper gap at the impeller, the cables are secured, voltage regulator at normal temps, and you can turn the pto by hand with no plugs, then possibly the starter.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by leejax01 View Post
    Things to check. Didn't say how long was the last time you successfully started it or if it had any running issues previously, but:
    1.Check impeller to housing clearance and not binding
    2.Remove spark plugs and see if it improves in turning over. Also see if you can turn the pto by hand at this point. No power hooked up just in case.
    3.Check ground cable from battery to starter and the positive cable from electronics box and make sure properly secured.
    4. Is the voltage regulator hot?

If it had no previous issues, proper gap at the impeller, the cables are secured, voltage regulator at normal temps, and you can turn the pto by hand with no plugs, then possibly the starter.
    1. Impeller to housing is fine
    2. Yes it seemed to turn over a little quicker without the plugs in it. Yes I can turn the PTO by hand does not feel like there is any binding
    3. Cable's are tight as far as I can tell (kinda hard to get to together).
    4. Where is it at?

Last time i ran it it ran fine other than the fact that the motor moved on me. I rebuilt it the winter of 2010 and put it back and a few bolts worked their self loose a little.

+1
    figured out it is the starter. So where do ya'll suggest getting one from I cant afford OEM at $440. One from SBT cost $150 or should i just try and find a used OEM or do you suggest getting mine rebuilt?

+1
    Sbt sounds like the way to go. If you get a used one then a few weeks later it goes bad you got to do it all over again.

+1
    That is kinda what I was thinking. I had thought about buying one off of ebay but you know how they go reliability wise(not that great)

Thread Information