+1

Pump Tunnel FZS paint please look

Hi,
    Just replaced intake grate on my 09 FZS and noticed a patch of paint missing, also what appears to be a little scratch or crack in the paint on the intake side of the pump tunnel.
    My ski has no performance mods.

Should I be worried???

Cheers!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00558.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	57.4 KB 
ID:	272292   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00562.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	272293  

RXP 260 X Short Course Veteran RXP244's Avatar
    +1
    That scratch is minor. I think you'll end up with a lot more like that or worse over time. As far as the missing paint patch, you could always pencil a bit of black enamal paint in there to tidy it up. I notice there appears to be very little in the way of silicone sealant around your pump shoe. Yamaha sure are stingy when it comes to that .

Mark.

+1
    I'd probably toss http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...oducts_id=1927 on that ski to stiffen things up..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbonic View Post
    I'd probably toss http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...oducts_id=1927 on that ski to stiffen things up..
    Is this really necessary my ski it only has a bov and r&d intake grate?who else has done this on a stock ski?

Homer, AK, D.F., MEX., Now San Antonio, TX
    +1
    The scratch is just a scratch from some object and seemingly did not effect the structure. I would touch it up but nothing will likely ever come of it.

The missing patch looks to have seperated because of poor preperation before painting. Sometimes they get a little bit hurried in mass production. The substrate surface looks a little smooth. Can you catch an edge with a fingernail and peel off more? The fix, if it is only cosmetic, is to peel off as much as you can - even if it affects the whole ski, and repaint. If you can get to a point where it won't peel, then prep and paint. An impact dislodged the paint, I think, but the substrate does not look damaged. The scary thing is that tunnel overstuff damage happens there, as I recall. If the glass did flex enough there to cause the paint to pop off, it would need repair. If you see signs of flexing glass, reinforce the tunnel before riding. There are threads on that procedure.

+1
    its apper that some thing hit the tunnle and its not a weak tunnle issue , i learnd that the new fzs fzr might face tunnle issue at 80 mile and above , now need to worry but is i were you i apply some epoxy for safty
    i had a horibale expernies with my 2008 rxtx 255 tunnle had to reinforcet for more than two time

+1
    thanks for the input didnt think it was to much to worry about.Will put some adhesive on the part that is peeling and see how it holds.Anyone else feel free to chime in your input is welcome.

husadan your hull paint peeling problem is the same as my ski, towards the same area too. It's definitely a hull prep/paint issue from the Yamaha Factory.

Thread Information