xlt 1200 problem

I just put my newly bought 2002 xlt 1200 in the water the other day and ran into a few problems. Out of the water it runs great revs up with no problems but the second i put it in the water it goes for 2 seconds then boggs down and wont go faster than 4-5 mph at full throttle. I believe it still has a cat in it and was told this is the problem but i just want to see what everyones opinion. If its the cat i was told to do the D plate but let me know if anyone knows what this is

Thanks!!

+1
    I would first check the fuel filter, and if ok, it may be the small filters down in the carbs. When they get close to clogged up, they will pass enough fuel to idle and run on the trailer just fine, even rev up ok, but put it under load in the water, no-go.

Ha mine did the same thing. Changed the fuel filter, vent check valve and I just got done rebuilding the carbs. The internal filters had some crap in them. I'm putting it back together tonight then trailering them to maryland for the weekend. I hope it does the trick. There is info in the "how to" section about carbs if you feel like talking it yourself.

+1
    check the compression. If it has low compression it will run like crap once you put it in the water.

also check the carbs as mentioned. The little tiny filters inside the carbs clog up easily.

well the ski goes for about 5-10 sec in the water then it boggs down ... If the filters in the carbs were clogged would it go in the water for a few sec?

+1
    check the cat first, then proceed to the carbs. But I had bad ecu's do the same thing. Run great on the trailer hit the water and will run all day at 5-10 mph. But chances are either the exhaust or carbs.

Is there an easy way to check the cat besides taking the exhaust apart? i tried disconnecting the temp sensor but the didnt work

+1
    Speaking from experience...if it is not done already it will be close just order D-plate with sensor and change it cheap job and needs to be done...

Mine did the same thing. Would run for a few then shut off. First check the compression and the hull for oil. If thats ok then try fluttering the choke to keep it running. If you can choke it and it runs you are most likely looking at dirty carbs that need rebuilt.

Thread Information