Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Gator/GL MB trails

Wondering if either one of you are doing any tours this year at MB. Most of the time we run trails off Grassy lake till we get lost and have to follow our GPS out or end up in a cane field in the middle of nowhere. Extremely fun to me but the guys and boats that are coming with me this time might not appreciate all the logs and stumps. LOL.

Saw some footage on the Cleveland files video and have never seen any of that. Can you tell me where they went in relation to gro's, Spunkey, or Grassy lake etc.??

Also a sticky of the map with ramps, hotel, Gro's, Spunky, etc would be really great and make it easier for newbies and people with no memeory recall of what happened that weekend.

Thanks a million!!
    Duke

+1
    He has a web site that shows the trails

+1

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Wondering if either one of you are doing any tours this year at MB. Most of the time we run trails off Grassy lake till we get lost and have to follow our GPS out or end up in a cane field in the middle of nowhere. Extremely fun to me but the guys and boats that are coming with me this time might not appreciate all the logs and stumps. LOL.

Saw some footage on the Cleveland files video and have never seen any of that. Can you tell me where they went in relation to gro's, Spunkey, or Grassy lake etc.??

Also a sticky of the map with ramps, hotel, Gro's, Spunky, etc would be really great and make it easier for newbies and people with no memeory recall of what happened that weekend.

Thanks a million!!
    Duke
    Duke, like my two fellow previous posters have mentioned, my website details "most" of the major routes in and around the general MB area. I hope you find it useful, but I understand that all that GPS mumbo-jumbo is not for everybody. (Just the same, thanks guys for making mention of it).

Specifically regarding the Cleveland Files, I can tell you that most if not all of that footage was shot on (or just off of) what I refer to as the L. Verret Loop, as per my site. Before I go further, I'd like to throw a disclaimer out that I certainly don't know every square foot of water, but I do know a lot of it. Additionally, those guys appear to be led by Campo5474 (forum member) who probably knows the entire watershed (and then some) as good, if not more than, most. Some of the places he will ride, I don't generally advertise, only b/c low water or vegetation is likely to be a problem.

More to the point: Quite a bit of footage was shot in Belle R., no biggie there. Some was shot on the north end of Belle R. (a bypass called the T Goddell (sp?), it's famous for low water and grass. I generally don't lead anyone in there. Another unique place appears to be Bayou Pierre Part which is probably almost usually navigable (it's always deep enough, but grass/lilies can be an issue). Getting in near the church isn't a problem, but getting out of the east end can be - If you clear the bridge great, but then you've got a heck of a run through some other notorious low water areas that I choose not to frequent for obvious reasons. Personally, I choose the more readily available waters year-round, but Campo def. knows what he's doing.

I don't know if footage was shot in the Cherami' area (East of Grassy Lake and leading to your cane field), but those are usually good although last year produced a terrible stump disaster/ejection. I have some of the area routed on my site, but only the "tried and true" area. BTW, that is a great run for 'gator and Osprey watching.

Also, this is a map sticky I created quite a while back: http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=145653 It's still current and relevant info, but the site has a lot more.

If there are any questions about any of the areas (on either side of the levee and down in the marsh) that you'd like me to cover in detail, please ask. And, while we're on the subject, I don't know just yet if I'm running a formal trail ride. My schedule is very tight and I may only show up for Sat. & Sun. If I do anything, I will post up, but it will be last minute. I can almost say w/certainty that my fellow GHer GL (Lasportsmn) is doing some R5 CC racing and appears to be setting a new standard (Go GL!!!) I expect him to be a MB no-show, and I know he'll be missed, esp. by the SoFL gang.

Any comments or questions from any of you guys - I'll do my best via this thread... Thanks, Duke for discussing this matter.

+1
    Should have looked a little harder, didn't even notice the site. Saw the sticky map but didn't have any trails on it.

Thanks for the help and see ya in a couple weeks!!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Should have looked a little harder, didn't even notice the site. Saw the sticky map but didn't have any trails on it.

Thanks for the help and see ya in a couple weeks!!!
    No problem, dude. The site is buried somewhere way back in the internet, and I wasn't uploading trails to GH - interface issues and all... I decided to build my own site out of general interest and fun. We can't let Jerry have all the fun, you know...LOL.

See you soon, you guys travel safe.

+1
    When will you and the FL boys be in town Duke?

+1
    Duke as much as I would love to be there to see everyone and do some good riding especially to show off my ski I will be in Baytown racing that weekend. Y'all have fun and I am trying to finalize some dates to get out your way to play on the 300. Enjoy your visit to my back yard.

A little FYI about this year though,
    We are looking at opposite conditions from the norm for this time of year. The water levels are LOW. I do not recommend anyone riding up the Cane field run, the boat launch run (in the same area) or any other small bayous you are not very familiar with. There is lots of Hydrilla everywhere and you will be in a bind sucking this stuff up and trust me there are many stumps just under the water and some in the middle of the waterway that can and will catch your ski throwing you one direction and your ski into a cypress tree. Ask me how I know!
    I recommend everyone stay on the familiar larger and deeper waterways this year. Make the regular Lake Verett loop that everyone rides and all will be good.
    Billy, Can you post up the loop I am talking about. The Belle all the way up to the T Godell to PP bay then across the lake through 4 mile and can even cut off into Bayou Felix. Can even cut up Bayou Cheramie but turn out and take the Osprey nest run back to the Belle River, Bayou Boeuf to Stephensville. That is about the only area I would recommend anyone ride. Last time out there was hydrilla in places I am not used to seeing it. They can still hit all the bars and Point-Au-Joe.

+1
    Thanks for the info GL. I was looking at water levels the other day and seemed to be on the low side for you guys.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1300r View Post
    Thanks for the info GL. I was looking at water levels the other day and seemed to be on the low side for you guys.
    Not a problem. It really sucks that I will not be there but I am really enjoying this racing. It has been too long seeing some of you I really would like to see again. I figure helping out kind of puts me there in spirit.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information