Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My 94 Polaris SLT 750 Restoration Project

Hello Everyone,

A buddy and I bought a rough looking and stearing 94 Polaris SLT 750 a couple weeks ago and we have been working hard to make it look better. Here is what we have done so far:

History: The machine was on Lake Mille Lacs (Very large lake in Minnesota) and during a storm with 4ft waves, the ski got loose from the lift and it got under the dock. As you can see from the pictures, it was bad.

Done:
    Replaced Hood with newer, better looking eBay auction
    Removed all the decals from the front, front left and front right sides
    Cleaned the machine the best we could without painting. (Havent explored that process yet.)
    Replaced Spark Plugs
    Reupholstered the Seat
    Reupholstered the Steering Cover
    Ordered new Mats

The machine runs like a champ. Has great power, and runs without issue. The only thing we are currently trying to work on is getting the Stearing to work better. You have very little to no stearing at high speed. When you slow down some you can turn. The reverse plastics are are bent and broken on the back of the ski, We are currently looking for replacements to see if that will make it better.

Let me know what you think:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 1.JPG 
Views:	172 
Size:	129.9 KB 
ID:	272355Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 2.JPG 
Views:	106 
Size:	125.1 KB 
ID:	272356Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 3.JPG 
Views:	710 
Size:	174.1 KB 
ID:	272357Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 4.JPG 
Views:	123 
Size:	107.5 KB 
ID:	272358Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 5.JPG 
Views:	103 
Size:	125.6 KB 
ID:	272359

very good job, especially without repainting it. I had a 2002 seadoo get blowen off our lift in northern wisconsin in a nasty storm and ill just leave it at it did not float and was totaled. Looks like a little filler, bodywork, paint, and labor in a few of those scratches and it will be a brand new ski. As far as the turning, the reverse grate may be screwing with it, but if you fix that and still are unhappy, you can buy aftermarket cones that will make any ski spin on a dime. Im sure someone else can chime in on what causes hard turning and excesive directional stability at high speeds as i cant think of what would make it turn at slower speeds but not high speeds.

cool find and good job

Banned User
    +1
    Be prepared for a lot of work and a lot of expense if you paint it. I am just about finished painting a project of mine and I have been at it for almost 2 months and about 400 bucks or better in supplies.

+1
    Costs alot to do things the right way, but the results are well worth it!

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueFishCrisis View Post
    Costs alot to do things the right way, but the results are well worth it!
    NO kidding!!!!! Are you coming to the gathering? Wait until you see how sweet this thing looks!!!!!

Thanks everyone! By chance does anyone know how much fuel the tank holds on the 94 SLT 750? I cannot find this out anywhere. I took the display apart today and got it working perfectly Now I just want to see if its working properly. Thanks.

+1
    11 gallons is the fuel tank capacity.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    NO kidding!!!!! Are you coming to the gathering? Wait until you see how sweet this thing looks!!!!!
    I am, and looking forward to it!

Thanks! Update: got to the lake for the 5 day vacation and it's 1:30am and I can see the jet ski off the dock and I can't wait till tomorrow I'm att cabin on Bone Lake in Luck, WI. It's a beautiful lake. 1800 acres to play in

+1
    '94 SLT 750... everybody's first ski! haha

That really cleaned up nice! I'm amazed you could reupholster the steering cover.
    The steering is a single flex cable with rod ends push/pull design. Is the rod bent out the back where it connects to the steering nozzle? Does the cable slide freely when you move the steering? Is the the steering nozzle binding on the pump end? I suppose a bent/messed up reverse bucket could also be causing some issues back there too.

I'm glad it runs good. But there are a few serious preventative measures you should take. Remove the autocock and get a triple outlet fuel pump. The stock design was single outlet pump with single fuel line coming into 1st carb then to 2nd then to 3rd... down the row. Cap off the lines between the carbs and plumb each one with a separate line from the new triple outlet fuel pump. Leave the 1st-to-2nd-to-3rd return fuel line connections in place... only changing supply lines. Rebuilding carbs is also *highly* recommended for these older skis... but if yours are running okay (check piston wash to confirm)... then at least run some Seafoam in your gas to help clean them out. Also, inspect the clear oil lines. These have been known to get brittle with age and crack. Then you lose oil to a cylinder and kaboom... throw a rod like happened to my current ski (previous owner).

Cheers!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information