2 stroke vs. 4 stroke

Prolly a total newb question & I'm sure ill get flamed but eh what the Hell I'm a newb!! In general my question is can the older 2 strk keep up with the newer 4 strk? What's it take to get there? I'm just recently looking at getting into the sport & really I know pretty much nothing about them. I'm looking at Ultra 150's, Yamaha 1200's, and I've been recommended to get an rxp. The rxp sounds great but holy fawk are they spendy compared to the 2 strokes!!

+1
    There are extremely fast 2 strokes and 4 strokes; it's not really an issue of speed.
    There are guys on this forum who love to tinker with a build 2 strokes, they have a section for them here on the forum and plenty of members who can help you and advise you on the best way to go if that's what you want.

The industry has gone to 4 strokes for other reasons; such as emissions laws and fuel efficiency, overall reliability and the ability to use straight pump gas without mixing oil in the fuel, etc. So basically, 4 strokes are the future, but there are plenty of fast 2 strokes out there.

+1
    Depends on what you want and budget is. I had some of the most fun in my life on XPL, HX and X4 hull 800 XP. Now I would never even work on a 2 stroke with all the power available to the Supercharged 4stroke.

I guess I don't really have a desire to build a full on race motor & have to work on the machine all the time so unless simple bolt ons couldn't get me there I'd just roll with a 4 stroke.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 02SilveradoLT View Post
    I guess I don't really have a desire to build a full on race motor & have to work on the machine all the time so unless simple bolt ons couldn't get me there I'd just roll with a 4 stroke.
    If your budget allows by all means go for a 4 stroke. 2 strokes are yesterday's technology.

Thread Information