What Yamaha Waverunner to buy

I'm new to the forum and PWC's. I've driven and ridin on some ad I plan on purchasing my own sometime this summer. My budget is $4000 or less. I though about the GP1200(R) but the 17 gallons an hour WOT pushed me away. The GP1300(R) looks good, from what I've heard it sucks the same amount of gas as the GP800. I want reliability foremost, but I've been familiarizing myself with them recently and I believe I can do some/most repairs on them. I want input from professionals before I buy. Please don't judge on the fact that I'm 15. I want a toy and I'm willing to make the investment of $ and time. Also

+1

Might to consider a Doo or Kawasaki

Honestly, if you have a limited fuel budget you might want to re consider getting a PWC or come up with more money and get a naturally aspirated 4 strokes. All the 2 strokes (especially the larger displacement later ones) are fuel hogs. That being said the 2 cylinder Sea-Doo 951s burn less as well as the Kawasaki 1200 motor:

Sea-Doo XP 951- 14.5 gallons per hour WOT

RX - 14.5 GPH WOT

Kawasaki STXR1200 -13.3 GPH WOT

Kawasaki Ultra 150 1200cc -13.3 GPH WOT

+1
    If you shop around on PWC Trader Online, you might find a decent 4 stroke for $4,000-5,000.
    I would prefer to see you on a Yamaha for best reliability, but here's a couple of Honda AquaTrax 4 strokes; they're usually pretty reliable...
    http://www.pwctrader.com/listing/200...F-12X-99274220
    http://www.pwctrader.com/listing/200...TRAX-103443854

How is the holeshot on the Honda? With the turbo lag... Also about fuel efficiency I don't need it as I won't be out there 24/7 it's just nice not to spend a weeks pay every time I go out. I checked out the fx140 and it gets 2 gph more WOT but I don't want that much sacrifice in top end AND holeshot because of the 4-stroke. I've strayed away from Sea-Doo because of suppose reliability problems. Is that really that much of a concern with them?

Stick with Yamaha, most reliable and cheaper if need be (which most likely) to fix. You can find great deals on Craigslist.org. I found 2 wave runners (2005 GP1300r and GP800r with trailer) for 5700.00. Just be patient and know what to ask and look for before buying. Compression test, haul condition, hours and maintenance records. Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+1
    +1 with driver. If u are looking into a 2 stroke, compression check is very important. but i spend the extra money if you can afford it get a 4 stroke LESS HEADACHE... be patients one will come around..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyq View Post
    How is the holeshot on the Honda? With the turbo lag... Also about fuel efficiency I don't need it as I won't be out there 24/7 it's just nice not to spend a weeks pay every time I go out. I checked out the fx140 and it gets 2 gph more WOT but I don't want that much sacrifice in top end AND holeshot because of the 4-stroke.
    Sure the Honda turbo will have turbo lag; but they are pretty fast and reliable, no oil in the fuel. What I am saying is I think you will have a more reliable ski overall with a 4 stroke, and if you can find a Yamaha 4 stroke then that would be your best bet. But I'm not sure if you're going to find a Yamaha 4 stroke in decent shape for less than $4,000. At first you were talking about wanting fuel economy, then you changed your mind on your second post. Get your priorities figured out. When you're on a budget like that, you can't have it all. FX-140 might fit the bill if you can find one in good shape.

I wasn't saying it's my #1 priority for fuel efficiency, I have the money for everything but I don't nessecarily WANT to spend a lot of it on gas. Besides, a GP1300 is faster than a gp1200 anyways. So I think i'm going for a Yamaha or a Honda, just a matter of finding something that fits my budget. I plan on buying near the end of the season so I have time to find a good deal. So what are some issues (e.i. Any prone failures, things I should fix or look out for before I buy/ride). I've done tons of research on Yamahas but not much Hondas. How are they? Same with SeaDoos, how reliable are they?

Ok I know for a fact now what my deal is. I need a rough water stable ski because I will be primarily in lake Michigan and fuel efficiency is a bit high on the list therefore I want a 4 stroke. They are more reliable, fuel efficient etc. Sorry that I really didn't have my requirements officially set when I first posted. I'd like to really know if Sea-Doo 4-Tec's are really that unreliable. Thank you so very much for your input. Really am sorry for my confusing set of requirements. Previous questions are still valid though.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyq View Post
    Ok I know for a fact now what my deal is. I need a rough water stable ski because I will be primarily in lake Michigan and fuel efficiency is a bit high on the list therefore I want a 4 stroke. They are more reliable, fuel efficient etc. Sorry that I really didn't have my requirements officially set when I first posted. I'd like to really know if Sea-Doo 4-Tec's are really that unreliable. Thank you so very much for your input. Really am sorry for my confusing set of requirements. Previous questions are still valid though.
    My friend when it comes to reliability you aren't going to beat Yamaha. The fact that they are used almost exclusively by rental facilities around the world proves this, year after year. Some of those units have thousands of hours on them. The non-supercharged Sea-Doos are not too bad, but I would avoid the supercharged Doos without a warranty. I really think if you can find one of the Yamaha FX series (FX140, FXHO) in your price range it will be your best bet. You can always make a low offer and negotiate from there; but you may have to cough up more money than your budget because Yamaha's really hold their value. But the the FX series handles the chop very well and gets excellent fuel economy. Look for a unit with lower hours, not abused. Have a mechanic check it over if you want, and always make sure you test ride it on the water before purchasing. Remember, saving a little money up front won't matter if you have to rebuild the engine right away, because the 4 strokes are not cheap to rebuild. You're 15 years old and we don't want to see you get saddled with a money pit. This is why if you are going to spend $4,000-6,000, I always like to see people get a warranty with a PWC. Anyway, here's a link just for comparison only...

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/20...-Output-332844

Thread Information