Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    +1

Looking to buy a new ski... FZS or 300x ????

Hey guys, looking for some input from the greenhulk community. I have been out the the pwc world for a while but looking to come back and get a new ski. I am really interested in either a yamaha FZS or Kawasaki 300x. I have ridden a new slightly modded VXR and a 300x with the washer mod but never ridden an FZS. I plan to ride mostly on the river but also ride occassionally on Lake Norman. Mostly will be riding double with my wife so I would like input on either ski as far as comfort and handling riding double. As far as modding them I have looked at an R&D module on the 300x if I go that route but my concern is what kind of maintainence or reliability long term with a 17lb boost ski. With the FZS I would look at the normal bolt ons such as: VX ride plate, grate, free flow, and intake. I don't want to mess with the engine or ecu to maintain as much reliability as possible. If anyone has experience with both skis or any input you feel may help I'd like to hear it. Does anyone know if the FZS will run 73-75 with these bolt ons? And would a prop repitch be necessary as I would like to avoid buying a prop.

Thanks, josh.

Just relax and enjoy the ride. XLT Chad's Avatar
    +1
    Deciding between those two skis comes down to how and where you want to ride. The 300 is a very good rough water ski. the FZS is a lighter ski and can go mid 70s with a few bolt ons, but isn't the best ride in choppy conditions. Have you taken a look at the new FX? By the sounds of it, its a nice combination of both worlds. A good deep hull for rough riding( especialy 2 up ) But has the ability to be modded much like the FZ. Give it some thought and good luck in your search.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by XLT Chad View Post
    Deciding between those two skis comes down to how and where you want to ride. The 300 is a very good rough water ski. the FZS is a lighter ski and can go mid 70s with a few bolt ons, but isn't the best ride in choppy conditions. Have you taken a look at the new FX? By the sounds of it, its a nice combination of both worlds. A good deep hull for rough riding( especialy 2 up ) But has the ability to be modded much like the FZ. Give it some thought and good luck in your search.

Thanks for the info. The ride of the FZS in rougher conditions is a concern of mine since I will mostly be riding double. Thats what im Hoping to get some input on from those with experience with that ski in those conditions. Although it will be smooth water 60-70% of the time we ride I don't want to be miserable that 20-30% of the time we ride at the lake. I did originally look at the FX but wasn't as fond of the styling but I haven't looked at one in person and that may make a difference.

Banned User
    +1
    Ride both skis And make your choice. Long term maintenance will be about = general maintenance on the 300 will be oil. Changes every 20+ hrs for Rec riders and an exhaust filter every 50hrs The sc is extremely reliable and will not blow up the motor if it where to go out. if you maintain the ski it will last a long time. Also the 300 requires 91 if that is a concern in your area. You will not beat the 300s rough water handling and it's now great in the flat to. IMO its the Swiss army knives of skis now.

+1
    Another thing to take into consideration is fuel. The 300 will suck more fuel. Did a trip this weekend with 5 skis all less than 20 hours old excepth for mine an 04 gtxsc trip distance by GPS all skis ran together pretty much all the time nothing exceptional. The 300 and the gtx were riding 2 up. WE alll gassed up to start at the same place and gassed in the middel at 69 miles.
    04gtxsc=11.99 gal
    11 vx and gti gassed on same fillup total both 17.5 gal
    fxho= 12.5
    300=15.5 gallons
    Just to add to the mix to make a choice.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by FIRE0021 View Post
    Ride both skis And make your choice. Long term maintenance will be about = general maintenance on the 300 will be oil. Changes every 20+ hrs for Rec riders and an exhaust filter every 50hrs The sc is extremely reliable and will not blow up the motor if it where to go out. if you maintain the ski it will last a long time. Also the 300 requires 91 if that is a concern in your area. You will not beat the 300s rough water handling and it's now great in the flat to. IMO its the Swiss army knives of skis now.
    I would like to ride an FZS but haven't been able to get my hands on one. Not a lot of dealers where I live in WV and I missed the Yamaha ride event in N.C. a few weeks back cause I couldn't be available. I feel pretty comfortable about the blower on the 300x due to it being basically the same as what I had on my GT500 but the maintenance was something I was curious as to what all it may involve other than oil changes. If its just changing the oil and exhuast filter I can handle that. I was thinking that running that high of boost may have a more involved amount of maintainence with shorter intervals. I have always been loyal to Yamaha and was trying to stay with them but I think the 300x fits what Im looking for better for riding 2 up. After riding my first 300 the other day it's hard not to like that acceleration! My fear is that if I went with the FZS which was my first choice due to its proven design and ability to make good speed I will be unhappy with it riding 2up when the conditions are rough. My biggest problem with the 300 is speed potential is limited if I woullieberman want to run faster than 72-74 maybe and it may lack the playfulness of the Yamaha.

+1
    Fuel usage is a concern also. My old big bore GPR used to gulp it and made an expensive day out. I know my buddy with the VXR uses significantly less fuel than the 300x but they are NA vs a supercharged ski also.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by WVGP1200R View Post
    I would like to ride an FZS but haven't been able to get my hands on one. Not a lot of dealers where I live in WV and I missed the Yamaha ride event in N.C. a few weeks back cause I couldn't be available. I feel pretty comfortable about the blower on the 300x due to it being basically the same as what I had on my GT500 but the maintenance was something I was curious as to what all it may involve other than oil changes. If its just changing the oil and exhuast filter I can handle that. I was thinking that running that high of boost may have a more involved amount of maintainence with shorter intervals. I have always been loyal to Yamaha and was trying to stay with them but I think the 300x fits what Im looking for better for riding 2 up. After riding my first 300 the other day it's hard not to like that acceleration! My fear is that if I went with the FZS which was my first choice due to its proven design and ability to make good speed I will be unhappy with it riding 2up when the conditions are rough. My biggest problem with the 300 is speed potential is limited if I woullieberman want to run faster than 72-74 maybe and it may lack the playfulness of the Yamaha.
    Yep oil changes and exhaust filter about the only maintenance needed witch are both easy to do. Speed potential will always be higher on a yamaha but that only matters in flat water. The 300 will run 72 All day long. If u want to. Go turbo u can be in the 77 range. Speed is all about hook up and getting the power to the water just like in. Car. Good luck with your search.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by WVGP1200R View Post
    Fuel usage is a concern also. My old big bore GPR used to gulp it and made an expensive day out. I know my buddy with the VXR uses significantly less fuel than the 300x but they are NA vs a supercharged ski also.
    Can't really compare a VXR to a 300 lol. Cruising a 300 gets great range. But hammering those 300hp will eat up the fuel. True for any gas powered vehicle.

+1
    Yeah can't really compare the two (VXR and 300) for fuel consumption...lol. But for cruising I was hoping the 300 wasnt going to be to ridiculous. I understand they have an Eco mode? And guess this would help some in a big ride. Not sure I'f rpms are limited in Eco mode or if it's just a recommended rpm range for best economy?

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information