Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Kawasaki 750xi '97 water entering engine compartment when parked in water

Help please:There is round opening inside engine compartment and below the battery. What is the purpose as on my jet ski water is entering through this opening when sitting idle in water!? Facing driving direction, it is on right hand side. Can i plug it or if not, what is it for? I stuck my finger in there and it appears a screen blocking getting finger all the way through...thanks for any help!

+1
    Any metal tubes, cables, or hoses coming out of it?

No, that is what's so startling...nothing other than a screen behind...Do not know if something should be there in the opening to stop water from entering, like a one way valve or what...
    Thanks, but the water is entering through an opening about 1" round and provided by Kawasaki design. It has a screen behind it. What the opening's function is that is what i am asking. what is it's function? It's below battery and about 2" to the right of drive shaft.
    The water entry gets worse when engine is running....

+1
    I've had a couple of ZXis, but not anymore. I don't remember a hole like that. Try sticking a rubber hose of something in there to see how far it goes. Perhaps you can use a light & mirror to look inside. You might put some water in the hole and see where it comes out the bottom of the boat.

The opening is perfectly round and put there by kawasaki. It is about the size of a wine bottle cork. I stuck my finger in there and only goes about 3/8" when i can feel a screen.
    And the water is entering the engine compartment from that opening...worse when engine is running, but also when parked in water without engine running- only slower/less pressure of water entering...i am at a total loss as there was nothing in that opening. No tubing - nothing....

Round hole with screen - That's a "water friction reducing" gimmick that Kawi used some Xi and ZXi skis in mid 90's. The therory is to introduce air between the hull bottom and the water to reduce water drag.... just a sales pitch imo.

The first thing is to verify the source of the leak.
    With the ski on a trailer/stand and nose of the ski tilted up, fill the hull with garden hose water is slightly higher than the engine/drive shaft coupler.
    Stand behind the ski and look underneathe the hull bottom, especially around the drive shaft area, and look where water might be dripping down.

Here a photo - the wine cork (added electrical tape for perfect fit inside opening) I put inside said opening for location id only...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kawasaki750xi.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	100.4 KB 
ID:	272576 The opening is perfectly round and put there by kawasaki. It is about the size of a wine bottle cork. I stuck my finger in there and only goes about 3/8" when i can feel a screen.
    And the water is entering the engine compartment from that opening...worse when engine is running, but also when parked in water without engine running- only slower/less pressure of water entering...i am at a total loss as there was nothing in that opening. No tubing - nothing....

Thank you! Do you think i can plug it, so no water enter compartment?

+1
    The '96 1100 ZXi was the only one that had that, if I remember correctly. The air induction tubes didn't look like that. The tubes were rather large, about 2" diameter, and they went straight down through the hull, then up underneath the seat.

Do you think i should just plug the hole? On another forum they believe it's for the trim cable that no longer exists!!??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information