oil sludge/contaminants in a PWC

This is a pretty general question...I was asking it in the honda section over on PWCToday but from what I read, you northeast people spend a lot of time with your engines apart so you would probably have some knowledge on the subject...

Basically the oil change procedure is (especially if the ski has been sitting all winter) run the ski for 5-10 minutes, then let it sit and cool down for a while, then change the oil.

The reasons I am aware of for running the engine are to stir up the sludge and contaminants in the oil so that when you extract it, you can get all of that out.

My question is...is this really necessary?

My skis are relatively new and while I dont know what was in them originally (one was bought brand new, the other with 13 hours on it) I used mobil1 "race oil" for motorcycles last year. I could be completely off-base here but I just have a hard time believing that the synthetic oil (which I think is high end) that was used for like 20-40 hours last summer is full of contaminants or sludge. If I was changing the oil in december then the low temperatures might have some impact, and warming up the ski would probably make the extraction easier, but if its 70-80 degrees out I would think the oil would be fluid enough to come out easily.

Its kind of a pain in the ass (esp with the rain this week) for me to pull the skis out and turn them around in the driveway and flush and wait for them to dry and then put them back in the (level) garage for the oil change so it made me wonder what this is all about.

+1
    Cars run 2000 rpms at 35. Skis run 4500-5000 doing 35. There's no transmission in ski to help that. I tell every customer after 30 hours to change it. And always change the oil BEFORE you put them away for the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Stang View Post
    Cars run 2000 rpms at 35. Skis run 4500-5000 doing 35. There's no transmission in ski to help that. I tell every customer after 30 hours to change it. And always change the oil BEFORE you put them away for the winter.
    I never responded but thanks for the feedback, I ran the skis for a few minutes then let them cool a bit and changed the oil...definitely noticed sludge or whatever when extracting too so it was good to run them before changing and prob would have been better like u said ot change in the winter.

Thread Information