96 ZXi will not crank? Won't even click. Where to start?

Hello,

I have a 96 Kawasaki zxi. I replaced the battery, tried jumping it with the truck but I cannot get it to turn over. It does not even click.

Where do I begin testing to begin to resolve it?

Thanks

Buddy

+1
    Welcome aboard, BudL1te!

Try hooking the jumper cables directly to the starter and engine block (red to the starter terminal). It's possible that the pump/engine is frozen, but normally it will click. This will verify that your starter can turn the engine over. Inspect the fuses in the ignition box. Next, it's time to confirm that the starter relay is working by jumping from the battery to the small terminal on the relay. If that works, look to the pushbutton switch.

I have a 96 1100 that was doing the exact same thing. Had to pull the electrical box and it was very corroded. All conections had to be redone and ever since then it has fired up. I hope its just your coil, starter or on/off button because it cost quite a bit to have that done.

I will try that. Gotta figure out where relays are.

+1
    Get a cheap test light-ground clamp on one end, sharp probe on other. Test power on relay to insure you've got juice there. Hit starter button and check bottom of relay- the one going to the starter-I'm guessing no click, no power. Open fuse cover- touch probe to both sides of the fuse- I'm guessing power thru the fuse.[ fuse is red and you can touch the exposed wires on its topside]. Look over the electrical box-it will have several white waterproof connectors with wires going through them into the electrical box. Any of them broken and allowing water into the electrical box? If so open the electrical box and prepare for the worst. Unbolt CDI and look underneath. Most common wires to fail are on the flat four red connector. Clean out water and gunk, fix the waterproof connectors[or you'll be right back in the box]. and reconnect all broken wires. It's pretty simple- all wires are color coded, in my shop we use water proof connectors and crimp them on, plug them back together. Hope this helps.......steve

I checked starter and it turns over. I opened electrical box, there was a broken white connector. The connectors with the 4 reds are both bad. I will have to get some water proof connectors. Seems stupid they would use those 4 ways anyway.

Thank you for all your help.

Buddy

I also have a 1996 Kawasaki 1100ZXI, it will not start at all. I have changed the starter and the starter relay, voltage regulator, main wiring harness, the two black boxes under the dash and I have absolutely no power to the start switch. If I jump the start switch, the starter will turn, but will not crank. What could the problem be?

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamLNelson View Post
    I also have a 1996 Kawasaki 1100ZXI, it will not start at all. I have changed the starter and the starter relay, voltage regulator, main wiring harness, the two black boxes under the dash and I have absolutely no power to the start switch. If I jump the start switch, the starter will turn, but will not crank. What could the problem be?
    Check continuity between the switch and the plug at the end of the harness, you could have a broken wire.Or check the kill switch, that could be sticking and not letting the ignition get power

I'm kinda in the same problem as the OP. Is there a diagram or wiring schematic that will help point out the spots to look at?

Thread Information