Rear seal blown on an oddball hub?

I took my trailer to a trailer shop by my house while the ski is off the trailer just to have it looked over. its an FE Trailers galvanized single ski trailer from a company in san diego. it has been running fine since day 1 but i just thought i would have my hubs, bearings, axle, springs, and all that looked at since the trailer is an 05.

the guy told me right off the bat before doing anything that it looks like i have odd ball hubs. theyre slightly larger diameter than anything he has ever seen. but he looked everything over and said that the trailer was in very good shape, and just repacked the bearings put new bearing buddies on because my grease fitting rusted out.

on my way home i stopped at the pet store and noticed that i had a lot of grease on my axle. i wiped it off to see if anymore leaked out on the ride home. when i got home grease was all over the place again. so i called him and told him what happened and he said that the rear seal probably blew but that because of my hubs he probably wont be able to get a new seal and would have to replace the hubs. now the next problem starts when he tells me that the axle is also an odd ball to accomodate the odd hubs. so to get rolling again i would have to replace the axle, and hubs now with something thats a standard size. does this sound right or am i being taken for a ride?

and i dont have the patience to work on this thing myself so i took it somewhere. i have no patience and would probably just back the trailer into a lake and leave it there so i dont plan on doing the repair myself this time either.

+1
    Contact FE trailers and see if the parts for that trailer are avaliable. If they are then you know the guy at the shop is trying to take you for a ride. Some shops are just lazy and want to out common parts on trailers to save them from the hassle of dealing with the more rare parts.

We see a decent number of older military trailers come through the shop for repair and it's a pain finding and getting parts for them. I wish they would scrap them or let us swap out some of the assemblies on them but they are fixable without doing so.

i should have mentioned that i now live in florida, and the trailer was made in san diego. the trailer place in florida said it would probably cost more to ship the parts from san diego than it would be to just swap everything out.

is there a common brand of axle and hubs i should look for? ones that are standard and any shop will be able to get parts for? im looking for galvanized axle and hubs so i dont have to deal with all of the rust again.

Problem fixed. Took it to another trailer shop and they had all the parts on the shelf. Told me i have a normal size axle and hub and there is no need to replace anything as its all in good shape.

20 bucks for a new rear seal and im rolling again

Thread Information