Better picture of knick in prop, what do ya think?

So, I took a better picture of my prop knick and wanted to see what you guys think. Do you think I'm okay to finish this season out on this prop, and then install a new one, with a new wear ring in the winter time? I ordered a service manual, which I might add ran me 160 bucks. I guess that's cheap when you start adding up all the labor hours into future jobs I might have.

it's probably less than an 1/8" deep, and maybe an 1/8" long. It's the only damage I was able to find. I also dont notice any abnormal vibration when running it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0039.JPG 
Views:	184 
Size:	53.6 KB 
ID:	272514

+1
    it is good to go, that is nothing too major, you could file that smooth next time you have the pump off,
    how is is running? any cavitation?

define cavitation for me. Seems to be running fine, i didn't notice any abnormal vibration and still seems to shit and git.

+1
    That's not bad, I'd run it. It's not a ton of work to pull it and gently file it, should you decide to do so.

Also, not to bust your chops, but check out e-bay for manuals next time. You can pick up hard copies or disks for a fraction of what you paid for yours.

I think I might do that guys. I was talking to Riva, and they said the stock prop is actually the best thing for it so far. Apparently they're having trouble with solas in delveoping one. So I will probably tear it apart sometime soon to file it, to kind of do a practice run in taking the pump off. But I might wait a few weeks.

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? RXPX's Avatar
    Thats stuff-all damage, mine looks heaps worse.

Your tiny little knick isn't even in a place where it will rub on the wear ring.

Cavitation is when you jam your throttle all the way down, the engine revs up normally but you don't seem to go anywhere fast. The water running through the jet pump will make a high pitched noise for a second and it feels a lot like loosing traction and spinning your wheels in a car. I highly doubt you are going to get any cavitation from that small amount of damage

Quote Originally Posted by WOT 88 View Post
    That's not bad, I'd run it. It's not a ton of work to pull it and gently file it, should you decide to do so.

Also, not to bust your chops, but check out e-bay for manuals next time. You can pick up hard copies or disks for a fraction of what you paid for yours.

really?!?! I did some looking and was unable to find one for the 2012 RXP X 260 The dealer was telling me that the one i'm getting will have all the models in it. Dont know how true that is. I'm expecting to get something that would rival a phone book for the whole continental united states in size.

Quote Originally Posted by RXPX View Post
    Thats stuff-all damage, mine looks heaps worse.

Your tiny little knick isn't even in a place where it will rub on the wear ring.

Cavitation is when you jam your throttle all the way down, the engine revs up normally but you don't seem to go anywhere fast. The water running through the jet pump will make a high pitched noise for a second and it feels a lot like loosing traction and spinning your wheels in a car. I highly doubt you are going to get any cavitation from that small amount of damage

I was kind of thinking the same thing. I know it seems petty, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't causing some kind of harmonic vibration that was going to damage other parts running it just for the rest of the season. Hell the way my luck seems to be going lately, I'd replace it with a new one, then suck up a bolder idling through the channel.

edit: No, I'm noticing zero cavitation.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by NoxImus View Post
    really?!?! I did some looking and was unable to find one for the 2012 RXP X 260 The dealer was telling me that the one i'm getting will have all the models in it. Dont know how true that is. I'm expecting to get something that would rival a phone book for the whole continental united states in size.
    You are correct, I was unaware of the model and year of your ski before commenting. I've looked and couldn't locate a manual for that year yet either, so apparently the expense is justifiable. Also, yes the manuals normally cover a variety of models. Welcome to the forum BTW.

Thread Information