+1

Impeller to wear ring clearance...

I'm new to jet skis and have a question that I think I already know the answer to. But I would like some input from the more experienced.

I recently bought a 2004 GTI which may have the original wear ring still on it. When jumping on the throttle hard from a stand-still, the ski cavitates and then accelerates pretty well with just one rider. It cavitates pretty bad with two riders and takes a while to get up to speed. So I have ordered a new wear ring. I pulled the pump today and measured the clearance between the impeller blades and wear ring. The clearance measured anywhere from .020 to .025 inches. The wear ring has the expected scrapes and scratches and a couple of gouges.

So my questions are... will this amount of clearance cause the cavitation and poor acceleration and will I be able to notice an improvement with the new wear ring?

Having Fun
    +1
    Whats the prop look like, too? From what you have stated sounds like wear ring issues to me. Use the freezer method. I think its in the "How to" section.

+1
    Thanks for the reply. The impeller is in really good shape. Only very minor dings on the leading edges of the blades. I am waiting on delivery of the impeller tool to continue with this job. Just hope the wife understands why there is a ski part in her freezer!

BTW, how/where do I set my signature for my profile?

Thanks again.

Thread Information