Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: water in oil?

water in oil?

So I've been doing some looking at all the problems I've been having lately. Last weekend when i got a rope stuck around the drive shaft, i rolled it over to try and cut it out. I maybe had it over for 3 minutes tops, when i figured out i couldnt do it in the water, and that i would have to be towed back. I didnt try starting it again due to the rope being in the drive shaft. Got it back on the trailer and on land, and started draining what seemed to be a lot of water out. once the water was almost out i tried starting it. on the second button press it turned right over and ran. Took it home cleaned it, and ran it for a few moments on the hose. Now with all that being said i'm having a hard time falling asleep because i dont know if i sucked up water or not, i never really thought to check. i'm out of town until friday night, so i cant check it to be sure. what do you think? like i said, i didnt try starting it again when i was on the water. I was also towed to land using the front hook.

+1
    if the the ski still has the stock air intake and only idled while being towed you should be ok. for piece of mind change the oil if its milky then you'll have to flush it a few times. I'll let some others chime in too. You definitely want to atleast check the dipstick

I've seen this one with accidental turnovers before. Raw water can get into your oil and it doesn't have to be a big deal. My best advice is to run it and get it hot enough to evaporate the water in your oil. It's not awesome that you've got to leave it sitting as my experience has shown that it needs to be run before it cools for best results.

If you're in salt water, your next problem is likely to be corrosion in plugs and connections. It seems like a hot engine covered in water likes to draw water into the plug wells and electrical connections as it cools.

I know people do it all the time, but I can't recommend rolling a ski on purpose at any point. The seat foam soaks water up and weighs a thousand pounds, the seals allow water to enter the hull, vents could allow water into the gas, electrical connections get soaked, and in bad cases the intake and oil breathers could get water into them. Drag it to the beach and roll it on its side there to avoid the whole situation.

Quote Originally Posted by jhill19 View Post
    if the the ski still has the stock air intake and only idled while being towed you should be ok. for piece of mind change the oil if its milky then you'll have to flush it a few times. I'll let some others chime in too. You definitely want to atleast check the dipstick
    Well because of the rope around the drive shaft, it wasn't running at all when I was being towed.:-\i

I should note that it was not salt water, just lake water.

Quote Originally Posted by jhill19 View Post
    If you've got a little water in the oil, get it hot and evaporate it. If its enough to make it milky, change the oil before you run it. Either way, it needs to be run good and hard to clear all the water afterwards. If it becomes milky again, it wasn't your rollover and you need to check for oil in your coolant.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by NoxImus View Post
    Well because of the rope around the drive shaft, it wasn't running at all when I was being towed.:-\i

I should note that it was not salt water, just lake water.
    I meant the boat towing you

Oh okay, yeah they were at idle ~4 mph

Being towed at speed would cause problems you would have already noticed. It sounds like you're okay.

I have a friend running by my lake cottage to take a look at it, and to use my oil extractor to remove some oil from it to see around 230-3 today. I will let everyone know how screwed I am!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by NoxImus View Post
    I have a friend running by my lake cottage to take a look at it, and to use my oil extractor to remove some oil from it to see around 230-3 today. I will let everyone know how screwed I am!
    Don't sweat it bro, there an easy solution if there is anything there. I pulled a ski out of a local lake that belonged to another member here after it caught fire and sunk. It was almost completely submerged and was bobing vertically, only having about 4-5 inches of the nose sticking out of the water. Next day me, him and another and member drained it, then kept flushing it with diesel fuel and cheap oil, finally firing it up and it ran with no problems.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information