adding mirrors to a 2008 gti?

Hi - new member, need some advice.

thinking about buying a 2008 gti for use mostly as a way of towing the kids on a tube. I just found out that this model does mot have mirrors, and this concerns me a bit. How big a deal is mirrors? I usually will not have a spotter so I am concerned with not being able to see them easily. Can mirrors be retrofitted onto the gti?

thanks - mike

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mross22 View Post
    Hi - new member, need some advice.

thinking about buying a 2008 gti for use mostly as a way of towing the kids on a tube. I just found out that this model does mot have mirrors, and this concerns me a bit. How big a deal is mirrors? I usually will not have a spotter so I am concerned with not being able to see them easily. Can mirrors be retrofitted onto the gti?

thanks - mike
    Welcome to the forum. Better check your local laws on having a spotter also having room for all occupants on the tube to be able to ride on the ski if something happened to the tube. I'm sure you can find some kind of clip on mirrors or something, check overtons.

Adding mirrors to that ski would require a new cowling because there's an underlying frame present in those equipped with mirrors. In Florida, these mirrors satisfy the spotter requirement but you would have to check your local laws to see if they would in your state. Aftermarket mirrors might be an option, but I don't know how nice they would be or if they're very durable.

+1
    In Texas you have to have a minimum of 4"x4" mirror for towing without a spotter. That means that all the stock ones aren't legal. The Ski-Image X2000 is what I had on my old ski and now going to do something else, as I wasn't crazy about the mounting of it. Its not that you can actually see your person your towing, but its the law just to say you have the mirror.

Thanks,
    Chris

Thread Information