This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

crank sensor replacement

I've sniffed around previous discussions on the entire 4-tec pto removal business as I am faced with my first in-hull project. A speedster with twin 4-tecs. I figure a flywheel bolt problem..but that's for later.

At the moment I need some opinions on how to proceed......

I'm not to keen on doing this job without pulling the engine..but it does appear that it has been done with engine in hull. Being a boat I am not looking forward to several hours hanging upside down. opinions on the issues of removal vs. in hull..it's a pristine boat so pulling the engine needs the same amount of care as a fine car and of course this monster won't fit inside the shop with enough clearance to pull the engine with my crane..but I have a place I can do it along with a good pal to help me out.

<rant on>>^%^^&%&^% crank sensor HAS to be buried..almost every other brand has this sensor where it can be pulled in just a few minutes. Oh the pain...<<rant off>>

I'm betting there will be major flywheel bolt induiced carnage in there when I open it up..and that kind of carnage is going to require engine pulling anyhow. How often has that crank sensor just failed from heat/vibration?

so....

pull the engine?

or

do it in hull and pray to the keepers of oil, blood and splinters of fiberglass that it was a simple failure?

The motors have close to 200 hours and the failed engine appears to have become unhooked a number of times due to higher then allowable rpm reported.(over 8150rpm)

while I have your attention..a big thank you to the folks at Candoo for great support while I was on this project. I had first struggled to uncover the diagnostic connector and then assumed there was only one due to my inexperience in dealing with 4-tec boats. The tricky part was I had a check engine light ( no way to read codes without a scanner on this boat(THANKS A LOT THERE SEADOO)) and the candoo first showed two engines then suddenly displayed one. Turns out there are to harnesses bridged by a psuedo mpem so there are two diagnostic connectors. I was informed that seadoo changed the way this is addressed and current year boats have a single connector and cand00 will allow you to toggle between each engine.

In the middle of all of it I bricked my candoo during a flash update and they responded quickly with a tool to reset the rom so I could get it up and running again.

I appreciate you taking a few moments for your opinions and experiences. It's an invaluable resource for the guy in the middle of the desert.

+1
    What year? On the skis 06+ has external Crank sensor. Has the flywheel bolts sheared?

+1
    I just replaced mines since my original one got burnt up due to it touching the j-pipe. Pretty easy job. I put a puppy's training pad under the motor to soak up the oil so I wouldn't have to clean the hull afterwards!

+1
    a 2004 4-tec..don't believe the bolts have sheared..well wishful thinking on my part..engine turns over when the solenoid was jumped..but it didn't sound quite right..which is what started this whole q/a deal. glad to hear they got smarter in 06

+1
    If the engine mounts are the same as a ski, you're going to have to unbolt the rear mounts to remove the PTO cover anyway... If that's the case I would pull it

+1
    same 4-tec engine boat and ski...

ok a vote to pull the engine..but please qualify it..I know I'm going to have to do an engine alignment after this job..so that's not quite enough to get me to pull i unless i have a clear sign that the flywheel bolts are sheared. I guess I should check the stator continuity after I muster enough painkillers to climb back into the engine bay.

Thread Information