Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Rider Feedback MACC or RIVA adjustable Sponsons 2012 P-X

This thread is for rider feedback on the adjustable sponson for the 2012 P-X.
    First id type, then what your setting were, then describe what you observations were.
    1) MACC Sponson
    2) Sponson was down 3 holes.
    3) Winglet was all the way up (most aggressive)
    4) Turning was sharper than stock, yet surprisingly less twitchy. I noticed the ski did slow down more in the turns. Loss about 1 to 2 MPH top end. But the best and most surprising was the rough water handling. I hate going in that 3-4 ft chop in the bay when the wind is up. The ski handled it noticiable better, the rear stayed planted in the water and the front drove right through alot of stuff that would have driven the ski up and out of the water. I don't mean the good up like a jump just that pesky chop. I noticed the trim also needed to be closer to the center position when taken on that chop. I think the winglet in the aggressive position kept rear planted and made the chop that much more pleasant.

If everybody with adj spon would right their observations it would serve as good point for future people trying to figure out how to set them up.
    Ed

+1
    So no one has installed adjustable sponons but me, I find that hard to believe!

+1
    everyone I saw at the race here in pcb had macc and were truing bottom of ski

+1
    I have Chris' sponsons on my new PX as well and love them....I set them up with the wing in the middle and in the 3rd hole down...Turns hard!!! And yes, it handles the chop that much better!!!!!

I am still breaking in and have only ridden in rough (1 to 3 foot) water here at our lake with all the cruisers on it, so i am not sure if it lost any MPH or not...

+1
    i have macs on mine also, tried in a few different positions, i can't tell a difference in any position of the wing, i tried all 3, i started with mine all the way down then brought them up to the 3rd hole, again not much difference, ski turns very hard, i ride in very choppy conditions so that would be why i felt no difference, if you compare the macc sponsons side by side to the stock ones the only difference is they are set back maybe a half an inch, they aren't deeper into the water either, now i can't say anything for the riva but in my opinion the maccs aren't that aggressive. someone with riva sponsons should chime in here too. next time I'm out i plan on removing the wing and seeing what happens. like i said i ride in very choppy water so from stock to macs the rough water handling didn't really change in my opinion, i do have the riva tabs maybe that is a factor I'm not saying the ski doesn't handle well, this thing turns like nothing I've ever ridden, I'm just saying there not that aggressive

I've spent the past three days running a 22 buoy course that we'd set up on the lake here and used an Athon GPS-R lap timer for timing and analysis.

Started with the stock sponsons, middle position (stock) - lap times were consistent upper 44 second range.

Switched to the highest position on the stock ones (race), and got the lap times down to consistent low-mid 44 second range.

Changed to the Riva Pro Series, dropped them to their lowest position (top bolt hole). Wings were left in the stock position. Lap times dropped to the low-mid 43 second range. Very aggressive bite - spit me off at about 45mph - had the GoPro running backwards, so I got the shit on video - awesome.

Ski is stock (till this week) save for a free-flow exhaust and the Riva sponsons.

Ryan

+1
    This is why I started this thread. I was hoping by the end we would be able to definitely id how the winglet and the sponson high effected ride characteristics. It seems no one has done this and published it.

Like my next move is to change only my winglet and see how it effects the ride.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by seadoo02xp View Post
    like i said i ride in very choppy water so from stock to macs the rough water handling didn't really change in my opinion, i do have the riva tabs maybe that is a factor I'm not saying the ski doesn't handle well, this thing turns like nothing I've ever ridden, I'm just saying there not that aggressive
    See, I definitely noticed a rough water change, it went as far as a trim change. If I put my trim in the middle, my ski's attitude was more like 1 bar downfrom the top. It has to be the winglet that is making the rear squat. Which go be overcome by your trim tabs as mine are stock.

Do you know what the theory on the winglet is supposed to be? I'm chiefly concerned with acceleration and handling, could really care less about top speed as we try to make the longest straight on the courses we lay out max out ~ 60mph.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanITV View Post
    Do you know what the theory on the winglet is supposed to be? I'm chiefly concerned with acceleration and handling, could really care less about top speed as we try to make the longest straight on the courses we lay out max out ~ 60mph.
    I think its called a deceleration wing, i could be wrong but i thought someone called it that, when my wife was on my ski i could see that at speeds above 60 it didn't look like they were even in the water,

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information