Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

02 GP1200R performance problem

Hey guys, new to this forum and kinda new to working on my this type of rig. Here is what I have going on. Last summer I was out running on the lake and had the cat temp light come on and from what i can tell went into a limp mode. got it back to the dock and pulled the seat nothing really seemed to be hot. restarted and ran fine. later on in the summer i had a friend of mine out at the lake and it took forever to get the thing started and then it ran very bad had no power. pulled the plugs to find that they where full of carbon so we replaced the plugs made through about a tank and a half of fuel and the plugs where full of carbon again. now i have been working on 4wheelers and dirt bikes for ever and never had a set of plugs go that fast. also had no top end power and the cat lite came on one or two more times. I would really like some direction on where to go with this thing seems to bet getting good spark. also in the process of doing a compression test. from what i can see from looking down the plug holes looks like the tops of all the pistons are black and full of carbon as well. any help would be greatly helpful.

Thanks,

Nick

+1
    does it still have the catalytic converter in it?

+1
    I would definitely start by removing exhaust and checking cat if it still has it. If your unsure either way take it off anyway. Sounds like you could have a cat blowing apart and most likely have a restriction in the exhaust take it apart and clean everything if the cat has come apart and get a d plate and chip. Few other things you would want to do for reliability if it hasn't been done is put a set of waveeaters in or the sbt retainers - check all your oil lines on both ends to make sure they are tight- go ahead and replace the zip ties while your at it. Check compression on all 3 cylinders and post results.

The cat is still in it, if i do the D-plate and chip i think i am going to also do the re-jet and F/A's with removing the acc pump that bill has posted in the "How To". I will get the compression number up after i go and find the rest of my parts for my kit lol i have seemed to have lost them with all the moving from shop to shop. also the waveraters looked like a good idea as well.

Thanks,

Nick

Well after doing a compression test i found that i will need to do a rebuild and from the looks of it the ski had 67X motor in it.
    #1 ~ 42 PSI
    #2 ~ 42 PSI
    #3 ~ 50 PSI

+1
    just get the cat out of there (or the pieces of it) and check it again

+1
    And use anouther gauge. A 2 stroke wont hardly start at 90psi. If all 3 are that close together and reading that low more than likely it's the gauge- it wouldn't even start with those numbers. Do like Wfo said-get the cat out - clean up the exhaust thouroghly to make sure you don't have any pieces of cat down line and use another gauge. Make sure throttle is held wide open while doing comp check and only pull one plug at a time

I used 2 diffrent gauges same with both. And it does have a VERY hard time starting. Well i'm going to start tearing into it and see what i come up with. I have one ski running for now might be time for some power upgrades anyways. ill keep everyone posted on my findings.

Thanks again,

Nick

*Update*
    pulled the exhaust and the cat is intact and clear you can see right through it. There is however some slag on the exit side of it. I have also found that there is what looks to be a little oil line that goes to the top of the carb on #3 that is not hooked up and was held on by what looks like zip-tie.

getting the rest of the exhaust off to contune my tear down to check the cylinders and find my low compression problem

Nick

*Update*
    Well i got the head off and this is what I found
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0081.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	75.4 KB 
ID:	272701
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0082.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	87.0 KB