New Ski Owner - Bought a 98 GP1200

I wanted to introduce myself around here as a new ski owner. I bought a 98 GP1200 a couple weeks ago and have been going through it top to bottom before taking it out.

Here it is the day I picked it up.

I work with Jonathan (MPower) and he has been a bad influence on me. I have been racing a 125cc shifter kart for the past few years but decided it was time to get out on the water to unwind on off weekends.

I got the ski home and started with a thorough cleaning. I used my dual action polisher and some 3M Finesse It after removing the old registration numbers. I followed up with Collinite Fleetwax to really bring back the shine. I still need to attack the rear hand rail with some Mother's Back to Black.

Sorry for the bad phone camera picture.

Since then I have gone through the ignition system and installed new plug wires and plugs and checked all the oil injection lines and fuel lines to make sure they were tight. Opened up the drive to grease the pump cone and replaced the grease fitting on the PTO as it was frozen shut.

With the good weather forecast this weekend I will be out at least one day. I already have some new Hydroturf ordered since the stock mats are peeling up and crappy in general.

I am thrilled to finally join the PWC community!

+1
    Welcome to the hulk! Great site for info and help. Good luck with your new ski, looks awesome!

That's a clean ski! And you got some kick ass toolboxes there too! You're a mechanic I assume?

Quote Originally Posted by skyline2962 View Post
    That's a clean ski! And you got some kick ass toolboxes there too! You're a mechanic I assume?
    Thanks! It is pretty clean but needed a solid going over as the previous owner was not mechanical but at least paid someone else to do the maintenance. Not a mechanic, just the son of a career mechanic. The ski is being kept in their workshop currently as I have no space for it at my place and will be moving in about a month where I will have space for it.

+1
    Nice looking ski. Hope you have a good time riding this weekend. If you have questions, this is the place to find the answers.

Got it out this weekend twice in the beautiful weather. The ski ran great and I recorded 57 mph on my GPS. I had a blast and I took my fiancee out for a while yesterday and she is hooked also. The Hydro-turf arrives tomorrow so it is time to rip off the crappy stock traction mats and put some good stuff down.

Here she is hooked to my trusty tow vehicle. Yes that is a Honda Fit!

Thread Information