Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

1994 750 ss xi no gauges or trim

Hi -

I have resurrected a 1994 740 ss xi. When I start it up, I get a blip of gauges and lights but then they go dead.

Basic power operation of gauges, tach and trim are they have a red 12v, black ground and Brown run circuit. With the battery connected, Red and Black are always powered and grounded. The Brown wire is grounded with the engine off. When you start the engine, the Brown wire gets 12v from the magneto and the gauges work (like an idiot light of old days).

I have power and ground but it seems the engine run circuit (Brown wire) gives voltage for a split second on start up then goes back to ground (when I measure between the Red and Brown terminals in the connectors going to the front of the ski - particularly the fuel, oil and temp lights). If the magneto isn't giving voltage to this wire during run, could I have a bad magneto or could it be something else? The Brown wire goes straight from the magneto to the gauges and trim. A second Brown wire from the magneto goes directly to the voltage regulator from the magneto.

I am thinking if I can figure this out I am golden. However if the magneto isn't giving the run voltage could I also have a potential no charge condition for the battery?

I don't mind pulling the engine and replacing the mag as I have an extra "known-good" one laying around from a doner ski I got to build this one up.

Thanks for any help. This forum seems like it knows it's stuff!

+1
    I believe that model has a 'run relay' that enables the trim after the engine starts. Look above the fuel tank, near the steering column. You might verify this by looking at the electrical schematic, if you've got one. (I don't have one for that model).

+1
    Yeah the run relay is only for the trim motor but my gauges aren't working either. I'll keep troubleshooting and post my results.

+1

Issue solved!!!

Turns out it needed to have battery physically connected. The battery jumper didn't work. Once I connected a battery the gauges worked fine. Now I have to remove the engine again to swap out the trim motor as the one in the hull is dead. Good thing I have an extra that I have tested that works!

And when I pull that one out, I will fix it and have an extra again. Neither have any water intrusion marks or coorosion.

+1
    Do you have the bellows seal on the trim cable at the back of the boat?

+1
    Not that I am aware. Should it be inside or outside of the hull? I'm gonna pull the motor and put my good trim box in so now would be the time to do anything.

Also, should me 750 ss xi make a ringning sound from the drive underneith when I am running on the trailer with water hooked up to the engine? Like a tinging sound. Spins smooth and has no roughness or play.

Thanks. These are my first skis ever and want to enjoy them not work on them all the time. I have an extra hull still with the drive installed. I was going to pull it all and box it up in case I have issues.

+1
    The bellows seal is outside the 'Ski, on the trim cable. Kawasaki part number 49016-3702.

The ringing sound is the impeller. It's like a bell on a shaft. Every time the engine fires, it's like hitting the shaft with a hammer. It's normal.

+1
    Got one ordered. Thanks for the info on the ringing. It doesn't seem to make that noise on my 1994 750SX stand up.

Even had a reply on Craigslist for the old ss xi hull I have for sale! It's a good week so far!

Saturday will pull the engin and trplace the trim motor.

I can install the bellows without pulling the cable right?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by demian5 View Post
    I can install the bellows without pulling the cable right?
    Yes. You'll have to remove the rod end (count the number of turns so you get it back on correctly). Put a nylon tie-wrap on each end to seal it. I put some grease inside of mine, don't know if it helps. I had to remove the ride plates on my 750 STSs because the reverse bucket got in the way. On the SS Xi, might be able to do it without removing the ride plate.

+1
    That makes sense about counting turns (like a mixture screw). Ill do that on the motor end as well. That locknut will be a PITA though inside the motor housing.

Any maintenance I should do or problems I should be looking for on the drive while I am working back there?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information