How to tell the difference between a 650 and a 750

I was recently given a 1993 sl650. The person who had it bought it new. Apparently they were having problems with the 650, and put a 750 in it instead. I was wondering if there was a way to tell without takin the heads off and measuring the jugs. I am putting too much money in this thing as it is modernizing/ rebuilding carbs/lines and such. I don't really want to have to replace the head gaskets.

Second question, it has sat for nearly ten years. I am in Nevada so I am not worried about it being frozen, but is there anything I should do prior to start up? Should I be worried about the oil pump after it sitting that long?

Banned User
    Milwaukee WI
    I don't think there is any way to tell without pulling a head. Or someone with experience on both could ride it and be able to tell the difference. If it has been sitting that long you may want to pull a head to look for rust.

What about a jetting difference? I need to rebuild the carbs anyhow. What jets do the 650 and 750 run?

Random Lake WI
    Get in there with a flashlight & mirror & look at the bottom edges of the cylinder look for EC65PW (650) EC75PW (750) usually on the back, but if you don't see it there check the sides too.

Awesome. I will take a look when I get home. Thanks.

Thread Information