2000 GP1200R WOT has no power. Feels like choke is on.

Hey guys just want to pick your brains on an issue im having. My GP1200R that I bought a few weeks ago is being quite funky. Was running great for my first few rides. Went for a ride up river last week, made it about 13 miles upriver and then suddenly without any warning it lost power at anything over about 3/4 throttle but would run fine at anything less than that. I stopped for a few minutes to do a quick check then had a nice slow float home... Got home and pulled the plugs. they were quite loose and were very fouled. Replaced the plugs and went for another ride and this did not seem to help with the issue. It has 106 hours on it and no mods that I know of have been done to it. It runs fine on the hose so this is only happening when its under load. Waters on the river were quite rough with some white caps on it and I did notice after I hit a couple of those and the rear end came out of the water that the engine did rev up fine and sounded "normal". Ive ordered the DPlate Conversion and Chip for it already. Powervalves do seem to at least be cycling but I have not torn into those yet either. Plan on yanking the carbs off for a good cleaning when my parts get here. I guess my question is, does anyone have any other ideas as to the cause of this?

+1
    Your on the right track. Definitly verify 100% the powervalves are working. Check compression. Cat could have come apart and have a restriction. Can't see carbs doing it if it was running fine then happened all at once. I would start with everything in the order I listed- and check fuel filter to make sure it's clean. Let us know what you find.

Thanks, any tips on what to be looking for with the Powervalves just in general? I would think its probably pretty obvious though.

UPDATE.... Did compression check, 115 to 120 across all cylinders and holding. Dplate was found to have already been installed....... Did find something interesting though. the number 3 cylinder spark plug was much cleaner than the other two. The more and more I think about this im really thinking its coming down to some sort of fuel issue.

UPDATE.... Shop contacted me and stated that all three carbs were needing rebuilt. He also said that they were heavily crystallized due to ethanol and all three of the little filters in the carbs were packed.. Good news is ill have my ski back a few days earlier than I thought.

Ski is fixed and running like a raped ape. So lesson learned... treat your fuel with the right stuff or you may end up stranded 14 miles away from the dock like me!

Thread Information