Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question 1100 zxi not breaking 6k rpms-30 mph

I've got a 1998 kawasaki zxi, took it out last week. ran great for an hour. then it lost throttle response, no low end power. idles fine. pumped all the gas out, pulled carbs, cleaned them, all gaskets looked solid. new fuel filter. did compression check. 124 on first. 125 on second, 125 on third. put new iridium plugs in, filled it back up with 91 octane, same problem. im at a loss, any suggestions?

+1
    Perhaps the slides in the carbs are sticking.

i pulled the carbs back off last night, taking it out today maybe that was the case.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    I say the pump bearings are gone

negative on the slides. there working. still have the same problem.
    pump bearings?

+1
    find some messages from a couple of seasons ago when I had a couple of ulta 150's that had similar problems. chased my tail for a week or more then found that both pumps had problems. At speed the props were grinding into the wear ring, keeping the speed down. Got ulgly..the props were welded to the shafts and I ended up buying a pair of used pumps on ebay. Pulling the pumps ain't fun for sure, but neither is chasing all the other items with no results. Kaw pumps use bearing which imho are a bit small for the power they handle..and the sealing system isn't all that either.

is there any way to know for sure before i go ripping the drive appart? its such a pain.

+1
    1-800-kreskinsjetski.com.

uh, draining the tanks and pulling the carbs is far more of a pain then pulling the pump..no way of knowing "for sure", but I'd say the odds are in favor of a pump problem now that the other usual suspects are out of the way. Fact is that nobody else is chiming in now, the community is with me on this one.....

Actaully, I'd be pretty happy if I pulled the pump and it was Ok since that's one of the more expensive bits to service on that ski.

Get one of those tactical falshlights ( the really BRIGHT ONE) and stick your nose in the pump..see if you can see any prop edge damage, indicative of the pump bearings failing(ed)

how many hours on that ski?

i looked inside from back and underside, doesnt look like there is any indication that its been rubbing. there are a couple nicks in it. i have no idea the hours on it. bought it from a guy that had it in storage for the past few years.

what all do i need for the rebuild? is it worth putting an aftermarket impeller on?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information