Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

What mods for a VXS?

Just picked up a couple of 2012 VXS skis yesterday and very impressed with their performance for non supercharged. These are my first Yamaha 4 stroke skis, but I used to have GPRs. From what I remember about Yamaha, they usually detune their skis quite a bit from the factory and usually a couple of easy mods can really wake them up.

I was wondering what mods work well for this ski? I'm not really looking to get louder, but mostly looking for acceleration gains. If there is a mod that improves accel and happens to improve the top as well, that's great, but don't really want to sacrifice acceleration for top end gains. I'd also love to lose the rooster tail ASAP. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

+1
    Congrats on the new skis Jarrett. It sure is good to see you get back into the hobby

Have a look at this thread for some modding ideas
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=149032

+1
    The first thing you need to do is change your avitar..lol......I did the manifold ribbon delete and r&d single bar intake grate with ppk......im not going to do much more...this ski is almost perfect stock.......I cant beleive I said that. If you need any help let me know.

+1
    Thanks guys. Jerry, it is good to be back lol, yeah I guess I need a new avatar as I'm not sitting on an RXP-X anymore. Speaking of, I ran across one at the river yesterday and he wouldn't jump. Why buy an X if you aren't going to pull that throttle? Anyway

I blocked off the rooster tails yesterday, that was a start.

Is the ribbon delete and the intake manifold upgrade the same thing? I thought I saw a post somewhere where someone said they pulled some of those internals out and went to a free flow exhaust and lost some MPH. I want to make sure I do the right mods in the right order this time.

I ran into the porpoising thing yesterday. At 2 bars on smooth water only at max top speed did it start a tiny porpoising act. I guess I need to do something about that. What's the best way to fix that? Shimming stock plate? Aftermarket plate? Grate? Aside from that one instance, I like the way the ski rides stock.

I'm wondering the performance difference between the R&D filter right into the throttle body versus the Riva setup. The Riva is more expensive, but looks like it gets a lot of air to the motor but potential sacrifices 50% or more of your front storage in the process. Is that the case?

Ultimately, those reflashes are looking pretty sweet, but I'd like to keep the mods simple up to 30-40 hours or so. I've heard that it takes a while for these N/A motors to really open up and provide full HP

+1
    congrats on your new ski's.

+1
    Thanks. I'm digging them much. I've had a bunch of skis in the past and I modded them quite a bit, but I don't want to do too much to this ski. I like that the VXR/VXS skis are naturally aspirated 4 strokes and there is no supercharger to worry about or maintain. I've had my fair share of learning curves with superchargers in the past and I'm tired of messing with them, especially now that Yamaha has introduced a NA ski that runs with some of the SC'ed skis. It's nice to have a ski that I don't have to worry any of that. Just gas and go. Change the oil occasionally and go have fun.

+1
    Just called R&D to ask them what parts they recommend for this ski and they said they don't have any? I thought the R&D parts were out already?

Quote Originally Posted by Jarrett View Post
    Just called R&D to ask them what parts they recommend for this ski and they said they don't have any? I thought the R&D parts were out already?
    Ha. THey do. I used their ride plate and intake grate. Very nice parts and perfect fit. I added a Riva cai, waterbox and hull thru exhaust to my vxr. Throw in a ribbon delete of your choice. I also added the rd r3 reflash. Those mods should do you nicely. Add an impeller and tbm pump cone and sponsons of your choice and you should be all set.

+1
    Thanks for the info. Do you know what each part separately adds?

Riva is really touting their air intake system, but you apparently lose all front storage with that. I read your thread about doing a lot of grinding to get the prop on. Not interested in that. If there is a setup that is just as easy as a prop swap, then I'd consider it. Just need to know what props are working well with this ski.

Yeah it was only and issue due to the tbm pump cone. The prop fit like a glove it was the TBM spacer that didnt give enough space between the cone and the prop. You can try the rd pump cone and it will go on alot easier as it doesnt come close to the prop like where the TBM does.

The ride plate shimmed added a hell of alot better traction and handling. Eliminated alot of the bounce as well. The grate helped with the rough water and unhooking. The cai and the exhaust just alow it breath easier and it revs alot better. The r3 reflash added low mid range acceleration.

The prop seemed to help accel but as jetpilot said to me when he rode my ski it felt lasy in the corners hence why we are gonna try an tweak the prop up a bit.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information