96 xp rebuild looking for a little more performance

Couple of years ago the crank balancer blew out the side of the motor. Well i am now in the process of rebuilding the motor. I was wondering what mods are best for the buck i should do or any recomendations as far as porting rotory valve degree i should use. Also wondering about a waterbox i like loud two strokes. I mostly am a snowmobile guy so these carbs i am not use to and want to keep it reliable. Also wondering about a longer ride plate if they make one for the 96 xp or if with the power trim there aren't any. Any insight would be great. It was all stock and would like to make it a pretty trick river machine. I have a scoop intake grate and trim tabs on it. Thanks for any help and ideas.

+1
    maybe you can start with a impeller,flame arrestors and sponsons.

i did put a new impeller in it when i got and new wear ring. i was thinking about the other two though. If anyone has some used stuff i am intrested. thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sledder670 View Post
    Couple of years ago the crank balancer blew out the side of the motor. Well i am now in the process of rebuilding the motor. I was wondering what mods are best for the buck i should do or any recomendations as far as porting rotory valve degree i should use. Also wondering about a waterbox i like loud two strokes. I mostly am a snowmobile guy so these carbs i am not use to and want to keep it reliable. Also wondering about a longer ride plate if they make one for the 96 xp or if with the power trim there aren't any. Any insight would be great. It was all stock and would like to make it a pretty trick river machine. I have a scoop intake grate and trim tabs on it. Thanks for any help and ideas.
    There really isn't much available by way of aftermarket ride plates. On the X4 hulls the ride plate doubled as the pump shoe and it wasn't a ten minute job to change out. R&D used to make a ride plate extender, I'm not sure if they still do, just tried to pull up their site twice, but it will not load. If your looking for reliability I would stay away from porting, screwing with compression, ect ect. Not saying those sort of mods are necessarily unrealiable, but they require alot of attention by way of tuning. If your looking to just tear up the river on the weekend, it would suit you best to keep it simple IMO. Exhaust, impeller and flame arrestors will most likely be the best bang for your buck. You can find nice stuff on ebay now and then. Good Luck and welcome to the forum BTW.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    the 787 is already built to run at its near full potential. there are a couple things you can do to keep it safe and reliable as mentioned before. dont expect to get this thing over 65mph or even 70 for that matter. you can add a flame arrestor kit with rejets matched to the filters, high compression head, reduction nozzles and a prop. stay away from exhaust pipes and bigger carbs.

+1
    Def. Do flame arrestors and rejet the carbs, best bang for your buck.

do most flame arrestor kits come with jetting instructions. I mostly work on sleds and dont want to drive 2 hours to test it and burn it down. thanks

+1
    No but do a search on here and you should find the correct jetting, i know its 2.0 needles and seats, 75 lows and I think 145 highs or 147s.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by surferd15 View Post
    No but do a search on here and you should find the correct jetting, i know its 2.0 needles and seats, 75 lows and I think 145 highs or 147s.
    No, it depends on the type of F/A's you buy. there is not a default kit for all F/A's

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    No, it depends on the type of F/A's you buy. there is not a default kit for all F/A's
    Never heard that, I know theres variations. I used the same jetting and had two different flame arrestors, no issues.

Thread Information